2. Saurabh Tiwary (Royal Challengers Bangalore) – 15 matches, 191 runs (SR 112), 3 catches. One of the more expensive buys in last year’s auction. Shift from Mumbai Indians has not done him much good. Why he came to bat before de Villiers is a mystery. Hit one match winning six of the last ball though. On current indifferent form doesn’t look like adding to his 3 India caps soon. (Aside – RCB not playing Pujara more frequently was another mystery)
3. Varun Aaron (Delhi Daredevils) – 8 matches, 1 run, 8 wickets (ER – 8.74), 1 catch. Missed the initial games due to injury which had caused him to miss the Australia tour as well. Along with Morne Morkel & Umesh Yadav formed part of the fastest pace attack in IPL. May have gone for a few runs but likely to keep rattling the batsmen with sheer pace. (Aside – Should have been touring West Indies with the A Team)
4. Shahbaz Nadeem (Delhi Daredevils) – 12 matches, 8 wickets (ER – 7.06), 3 catches. One of the finds of the tournament. Bowled economically, opened the bowling, held up one end while the Daredevils’ extreme pace attack took care of the other. Got the Player of the match on 2 occasions. Why he wasn’t played at the later stages of the game specially in the 2nd eliminator is still a mystery to me.
5. Ishank Jaggi (Deccan Chargers) – 3 matches, 15 runs (SR 71), 1 catch. A very ordinary start saw Jaggi being dropped from an under-performing Deccan team (not that it improved the team much). And he didn’t get a chance after that.
Rahul Shukla (Mumbai Indians) – 1 match, no wickets (ER 10.33). Just one game in which he got hit for a few runs. Chances very hard to come by in a team like Mumbai Indians.
6. Sunny Gupta (Delhi Daredevils) – 1 match, no runs, no wickets (ER15.67). Technically not a Jharkhand player. He was earlier part of the Jharkhand team, now playing for Tamil Nadu. Shock selection ahead of Nadeem in the 2nd eliminator. Daredevils in an attempt to catch CSK by surprise ended up shocking themselves with this selection.
So 7 (including Sunny) players from Jharkhand in IPLV of which 4 were regulars. Nadeem was the standout performer amongst them. Hopefully next edition will seem more players emerging from Jharkhand.
Published with permission from Slipstream Cricket.