1. Ganguly is the seventh Indian cricketer to have played 100 Test matches.
2. He is currently the 4th highest overall run scorer for India in Tests.
3. Ganguly is the second among Indians after Sachin Tendulkar (who has the highest ODI runs in the world) and the fourth in the world in terms of overall runs scored in ODIs.
4. Ganguly has 22 centuries in ODIs and is only behind Sachin Tendulkar, Sanath Jayasuriya and Ricky Ponting. Sourav, along with Sachin Tendulkar, formed by far the most successful opening pair in One Day Cricket, having amassed the highest number of century partnerships (26) for the first wicket. Together, they scored more than 7000 runs at an average of 48.98. He is a world record holder for creating most no. of 50-run partnerships in the first wicket (44 fifties).
5. He captained India in a record 49 Test matches and led India to a record 21 Test wins.
6. His Test average has never been less than 40.
7. He holds the record for most 200+ ODI partnerships (6 times) along with Sachin Tendulkar and Ricky Ponting.
8. He holds the record, shared with Sachin Tendulkar, for most 1st wicket ODI partnerships of 175+ runs (7 times).
9. He holds the record, shared with Mahendra Singh Dhoni, for the fourth highest score by an Indian cricketer in an ODI — 183, against Sri Lanka in 1999.
10. He held the record, shared with Sachin Tendulkar, for the highest first wicket partnership for India in an ODI match, 258, against Kenya in 2001. This record was bettered by Sri Lankan opening pair of Jayasuriya and Tharanga in 2006 at Headingley.
11. He was involved in the first 300 run ODI partnership with Rahul Dravid. He is also the only player to win 4 consecutive man of the match awards in ODIs.
12. He’s India’s second most successful ODI captain after Mohammed Azharuddin.
13. He was the first Indian to score an ODI century against Australia in Australia.
14. He was the highest ODI runs scorer in the world (in a calendar year) in 1997, 1999 and 2000.
15. He’s placed third on the list of maximum number of sixes hit in ODIs.
16. He’s on the second spot in the list of highest number of centuries in a single calendar year ever. 7 centuries in 2000.
His famous quote, when his captaincy was criticized – “I know what I’m. People can label me as they like but it upsets me to hear the word “arrogant” being used against me. I’m not arrogant, not at all”.