Two-time Formula One champion Fernando Alonso has quashed all rumours of him leaving McLaren and the sport, saying that he still has three years left in his contract and he will finish this season and the one after that as well.
“I have a contract here for three years. I’m not thinking about anything else. All week there have been rumours and when there are too many months with no action on the track there is a dangerous tendency to be creative with news. Now we are on track, I hope there won’t be any rumours. I will see the season out – and the next one,” the 34-year-old said.
On the opening day of testing, Alonso completed a total of 119 laps on his McLaren-Honda and added he felt good to be back and complete the certain number of laps.
“After the longest break I can remember, starting winter testing in the third week of February is a bit late. It’s good to be back and good to complete a good number of laps, which I missed last year,” Alonso said.
The team finished in 9th place in the Constructors Championship last year and Alonso admitted that he and the team meant serious business this year and expressed happiness over the improvements in the car.
“Our ambition is very high because I am not here just to travel around the world, jump in the car and have some fun on Sunday. I am here to win. I am proud of the team and the job everyone has done on this car. We improved all areas of the car. There was a lot of pain last year but now we have a completely new design and philosophy so we need time to explore the potential. There is still performance we need to unlock in the car,” he signed off.
The 2016 season of Formula One starts on the 20th of March in Melbourne.