Mexico City to witness Formula 1 demo on June 27

IANS
The Zocalo, Mexico City’s central square, also known as the Plaza de la Consitucion

Mexico City, June 16 (IANS) Mexico City's central square, the Zocalo, will welcome Formula One automobiles sponsored by Red Bull Racing on June 27, in a demonstration race to promote the Mexican Grand Prix, to be staged October 30-November 1 at the Hermanos Rodriguez Autodrome here.

Five months before the return of Formula One racing to Mexico, after a 23-year absence, Australian Daniel Ricciardo and Spain's Carlos Sainz, who drive for Red Bull, will navigate the F1 RB7 automobile around a specially-constructed course on Mexico's most famous and historic square, reports Efe.

"I'm really looking forward to this very special trip to Mexico. The demo runs in the city center should be amazing and everyone is up for putting on a really big show," Ricciardo said.

"Mexico City's huge and I know that Mexican people are really into F1, so I'm looking forward to seeing just how big a crowd we can bring out on the day!" he added.

The Australian said it would be the first time for the team to visit Mexico together and he was looking forward to taking the car on a spin around the huge central square

"I'm thrilled to go to Mexico, I have no memory of it, (but) my parents told me I've been there before, when I was one or two years old," said Sainz Jr., the son of former World Rally champion Carlos Sainz.

"Mexico City is a very interesting place to visit and I do know it's very special to drive an F1 auto through its streets," he added.

Quick Links

Edited by Staff Editor