By Larry Fine
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Andy Murray's dominant four-month run ended with a five-set loss to Japan's Kei Nishikori in the quarter-finals of the U.S. Open on Wednesday, but to the Scotsman it was a case of win some, lose some.
"Obviously I was in a good position up and a set and a break and chances at the beginning of the fourth set, as well," second-seeded Murray told reporters said after losing 1-6 6-4 4-6 6-1 7-5 to snap his string of seven finals in his last seven events. "I could have won the match for sure."
Murray's stellar stretch included his second Wimbledon title, second Olympic gold medal and wins at Queen's Club and Rome.
"But I have also won some over the last few months I should have lost," he said. "Against (American) Steve Johnson at the Olympics (quarter-finals) I was down a couple of times.
"The third set against Fognini (Olympics fourth round), I was down a break in the third there. Against Tsonga at Wimbledon I was up, but that could have gone the other way in the beginning of the fifth.
"It happens sometimes. I have won a lot over the last few months, but couldn't quite get it going my way today."
Murray seemed rattled by a call in the fourth set as he appeared poised to register an early service break but would not blame defeat on it.
Holding double break point at 15-40 with Nishikori serving at 1-1, the umpire called a let and replay of a point that Murray seemed in control of because of a loud, intrusive sound from the public address system.
Murray was annoyed because when he had complained of a sound disturbance earlier in the match, the umpire said in such instances the players would play on.
The Briton squandered his chances and lost the game. Between the changeover Murray complained to the tournament supervisor and when play resumed he never won another game in the set.
He said later he might have been bothered for a couple of games but then had his chances.
Tournament organisers later explained that one of the sound processors malfunctioned causing the noise.
Murray missed out on a chance to put his name alongside Rod Laver, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic as the only men to have reached each grand slam final in a calender year.
The 29-year-old Briton was still very pleased with his season.
"I have not let anyone down. I tried my best. I fought as hard as I could with what I had today," he said. "I'm very proud of how I have done."
(Editing by Frank Pingue)