Benefits of Black Tea: Natural Antioxidant You Should Add To Your Routine
The benefits of black tea are well-known in traditional medicine. It is among the most consumed beverages in the world. It has a strong flavor and contains more caffeine than other teas.
The leaves come from the Camellia sinensis plant. Tea leaves are rich in antioxidants and other beneficial compounds. The benefits of black tea include anti-inflammatory and stimulant properties.
In this article, we will discuss the ways in which black tea can have a positive impact on health.
It can be observed that black tea is not a good source of macro or micronutrients. It does not have a significant calorific value either. The benefits of black tea are largely contributed by the antioxidant compounds present in the leaves, which are also rich in caffeine.
Health Benefits of Black Tea
These benefits of black tea will leave you totally amazed. It also contains more caffeine than other teas.
1) Fights free radicals
The antioxidant properties of tea leaves are the most important benefits of black tea.
There are many benefits of black tea, including its high antioxidant content. This can be useful in the prevention of chronic diseases. These compounds help remove free radicals and decrease cell damage in the body. That can be useful in the prevention of chronic diseases.
A study published in the journal Lipids in Health and Disease concluded that theaflavins and thearubigins reduced cholesterol and maintain healthy blood sugar levels. Another study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition examined the role of catechins in oolong tea in the reduction of bodyweight and found promising results.
2) May improve heart health
The extensive benefits of black tea include the reduction of blood clotting, lowering cholesterol and high blood pressure, increased endurance and fat burning properties, a boost in brain health, and the ability to prevent cancer.
A paper published in the journal Advances in Nutrition analyzed the relationship between the consumption of tea and the risk of heart disease and found promising results. Another study published in the journal Heart found similar results. It's advisable to include regular consumption of this beverage to get the most black tea benefits.
3) May improve gut health
The benefits of black tea are not just related to cardiovascular health but also to our gut health.
It has been found that polyphenols present in black tea can promote the growth of beneficial gut bacteria. These beneficial bacteria play a huge role in the maintenance and functioning of the gut.
Not just gut health, these bacteria can also determine the risks associated with several health conditions, such as inflammatory bowel disease, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and cancer.
Polyphenols selectively allow certain bacteria to grow and prevent the growth of harmful pathogens due to their anti-bacterial properties.
4) May help reduce blood pressure
A study published in the journal Complimentary Therapies in Medicine found that regular tea intake lowered systolic blood pressure by 4.81 mmHg and diastolic blood pressure by 1.98 mmHg. Several other research groups studying the benefits of black tea are also found similarly promising results.
Types of Black Tea
1) Assam tea takes its name from its region of origin, Assam in northeastern India. A malty, dark brew is often served with milk and sugar or honey.
2) Keemun is a black tea from Qimen, China. It's known for its smooth, fruity taste and smell. It's also used in English Breakfast blends.
3) Ceylon tea comes from Sri Lanka, formerly known as Ceylon. It is a medium-bodied tea, somewhat sweet and citrusy. This tea is good hot or as iced tea.
4) Earl Grey is a popular black tea flavored with bergamot. It's often used in lattes, baked goods, and candy.
5) Nilgiri is a tea from India’s Nilgiris district. It’s similar to Assam tea. It’s bold and aromatic with fruity and floral overtones.
6) Yunnan tea is grown in the Chinese province of Yunnan. It's fully oxidized and has a sweet, somewhat earthy or smoky flavor. A high-quality Yunnan tea will have more yellow tips.
The benefits of drinking black tea include antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, largely contributed by the naturally occurring compounds in tea leaves. Black tea is best consumed in whole leaf instant form to get the most out of the benefits of black tea.