MLB Top 10 Teams Entering Week 6
It's starting to look like the weather is corporating for baseball. There hasn't been too much talk about postponements as of late and that is a good thing. The MLB season is already six weeks old and some teams are still trying to figure out who they are. Here are this week's top 10 teams:
10. Los Angeles Angels: The Angels snapped their four-game losing streak with a 3-2 win in Tuesday Night's game against the Baltimore Orioles. Los Angeles is just 4-6 in their last 10 games. They are still one of the better teams in baseball. The Angels just got swept at home to a red-hot New York Yankees team. Mike Trout continues to produce for the Angels. Los Angeles's record is 17-12 to start the 2018 campaign. Last week's ranking: 3.
9. Seattle Mariners: The Mariners have some very good players in their lineup like Robinson Cano, Nelson Cruz, Kyle Seager, and Dee Gordon. Seattle is 7-3 in their last 10 games and the Mariners record is 17-11 so far this season. They are currently in second place in the American League West. Dee Gordon has a .339 batting average with one home run and eight RBI's, along with 12 stolen bases. Mitch Haniger is having a breakout season for the Mariners in right field with a .303 batting average 10 home runs and 27 RBI's, along with one stolen base. Seattle could continue to surprise others as the season goes on. Last week's ranking: not ranked.
8. Milwaukee Brewers: The Brew Crew are one of the most underrated teams in baseball, but they got swept over the weekend against the Chicago Cubs. That is why the Milwaukee Brewers are now tied for first in the NL Central standings. The Brewers were shut out in three of those four games. Milwaukee didn't pitch bad in those games and they didn't give more than three runs in all four games. The Brewers record is 18-13. Last week's ranking: 7.
7. Atlanta Braves: Don't blink now but the Atlanta Braves are 17-11 to start the 2018 season, and they are just 0.5 games back of the New York Mets. The Braves called up outfielder Ronald Ocuna Jr. recently and his batting average is .417 with one home run and four RBI's. He also has one stolen bases. Teammate Ozzie Albies calls him his little brother and Albies batting average is .289 with nine home runs and 20 RBI's, along with nine stolen bases. Mike Foltynewicz leads the Braves in strikeouts with 39. Last week's ranking: not ranked.
6. Chicago Cubs: The Chicago Cubs took a big jump in the standings over the weekend by sweeping the Milwaukee Brewers in a four-game set. The Cubs shut them out three times. Chicago also struggled to score runs in that series. They are now tied with the Milwaukee Brewers for first in the NL Central with a 16-11 record. In the games that Chicago shutout Milwaukee starters Kyle Hendricks, Jose Quintana, and Tyler Chatwood each pitched seven scoreless innings and the bullpen finished out the job. Javier Baez has been the Cubs best hitter in 2018 with a .280 batting average with seven home runs and 26 RBI's, along with three stolen bases. Last week's ranking: not ranked.
5. New York Mets: After dropping two-of-three against the St. Louis Cardinals on the road, New York took two-of-three against the San Diego Padres on the road over the weekend. The Mets NL East is down to 0.5 games after they lost 3-2 on Tuesday Night against the Atlanta Braves. The Mets bullpen hasn't been hot lately. Matt Harvey has been getting hit around and Jeurys Familia can't hold onto a lead. Familia has blown three saves already this season. Matt Harvey's ERA is 5.76 and his record is 0-2. Jacob DeGrom is 3-0 with a 2.06 ERA. He has pitched in 39.1 innings and has given up 30 hits and 10 runs. DeGrom has only walked 11 batters and struck out 48. Yoenis Cespedes has a .252 batting average with seven home runs and 26 RBI's, along with two stolen bases. Asdrubal Cabrera has had a surprising year so far with a .337 batting average with five home runs and 17 RBI's.The Mets record so far in 2018 is 17-10. Last week's ranking: 5.
4. New York Yankees: The Yankees are 9-1 in their last 10 games and their record is 19-10 so far in the 2018 season. New York has been pitching a lot better as of late. They have given up two runs or fewer in their last six out of 10 games. With the offense the Yankees have, they need that kind of pitching in order to give them a chance to make a deep run. Didi Gregorius might be the Yankees MVP so far in 2018. His batting average is .333 with 10 home runs and 30 RBI's, along with two stolen bases. Aaron Judge continues to produce with a .314 batting average with seven home runs and 18 RBI's, along with two stolen bases. Domingo German pitched four scoreless innings in Tuesday Night's 4-0 win on the road against the Houston Astros. He gave up four hits and walked a batter and struck out four after Jordan Montgomery left the game in the first inning with a elbow injury. German's record is 0-1 with a 3.77 ERA. In 14.1 innings pitched, he has given up 14 hits and six runs. German has walked seven batters and struck out 18. Last week's ranking: 9.
3. Houston Astros: Houston has split the series so far against the New York Yankees and they have two more games against the Yankees before they go out to the west coast for a big weekend series against the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Astros record so far this season is 20-11. Justin Verlander continues to dominate opponents. Verlander pitched eight scoreless innings and he only gave up three hits and struck out 14 batters. Houston wasted his spectacular pitching performance and lost the game 4-0 to the New York Yankees. Verlander's record is 4-0 with a 1.13 ERA. He has pitched in 47.2 innings and he has given up 24 hits and seven runs. Verlander has just walked eight batters all season and he has struck out 62. Charlie Morton has also been stupendous for Houston. His record is 4-0 with a 1.72 ERA. Morton has pitched in 36.2 innings and he has given up 23 hits and eight runs. He has walked 13 batters and struck out 45. Last week's ranking: 2.
2. Arizona Diamondbacks: Arizona is 8-2 in their last 10 games and they are one of the most underrated teams in baseball. They don't get enough respect they deserve. A.J. Pollock continues to conduct the Diamondbacks offense with a .292 batting average 10 home runs and 25 RBI's, along with seven stolen bases. Paul Goldschmidt has had a quiet season with a .262 batting average four home runs and 11 RBI's, along with two stolen bases. Patrick Corbin has been Arizona's best pitcher so far in 2018. He has a 4-0 record with a 2.25 ERA. In 40 innings pitched, he has given up 23 hits and 10 runs. Corbin has only walked seven batters and struck out 55 batters. Arizona has a six-game lead over the Colorado Rockies in the NL West and the Diamondbacks are 21-8 to start the season. Last week's ranking: 4.
1.Boston Red Sox: Boston is 21-8 to start the 2018 season. The Red Sox have one of the best offenses in baseball. Alex Cora continues to be a good manager in the clubhouse for Boston. Xander Bogaerts has a .375 batting average with three homeruns and 15 RBI's. Mookie Betts leads Boston in homeruns with eight and J.D. Martinez leads Boston in RBI's with 22. Chris Sale's record is 2-1 with a 2.14 ERA. In 42 innings pitched, he has given up 31 hits and 11 runs. Sale has walked 10 batters and struck out 51. Rick Porcello continues to be outstanding with a 4-0 record and a 2.23 ERA. In 40.1 innings pitched, he has given up 30 hits and 10 runs. Porcello has walked four batters and struck out 38. Last week's ranking: 1.