Top 10 MLB Teams Entering Week 5
Who are the top 10 MLB teams entering week 5?
The weather hasn't been getting much better in the baseball world. It hasn't been because of snow, but it has been because of rain. Baseball is already a month old and some teams seasons are already finished because they are off to a bad start. Here are this week's top 10 MLB teams:
10. Philadelphia Phillies: The Phillies have been a team that has been playing under the radar to start the 2018 season. With a new manager at the helm, they are playing hard and paying attention to detail. They are off to a 14-8 start and they are just 1.5 games back of the New York Mets in the NL East. Rhys Hoskins has been solid with the bat with a .328 batting average with four home runs and 19 RBI's, along with three stolen bases. Aaron Nola is the Phillies best starter. His record is 2-1 with a 2.30 ERA. Nola has pitched in 31.1 innings and given up 20 hits and eight runs. He has walked nine batters and struck out 24. Newcomer Jake Arrieta has a 2-0 record with a 2.04 ERA. In 17.2 innings pitched, he has given up 11 hits and six runs. Arrieta has walked six batters and struck out 16. Last week's ranking: not ranked.
9. New York Yankees: The Yankees are starting to find their mojo back. They are 7-3 in their last 10 games and they are 13-9 to start the 2018 season. The pitching continues to struggle except for Luis Severino. He has a 4-1 record with a 2.32 ERA. In 31 innings pitched, he has given up 18 hits and eight runs. Severino has walked 10 batters and struck out 34. Aaron Judge continues to rake with a .341 batting average seven home runs and 16 RBI's. Giancarlo Stanton is only has a .213 batting average with five home runs and 14 RBI's. He was in a major slump for a while. Gary Sanchez hit two home runs in the Yankees 8-3 on Tuesday Night against the Minnesota Twins. Shortstop Didi Gregorius is having an awesome start to the 2018 season. He has a .324 batting average with seven home runs and 24 RBI's. Gleyber Torres was called up and he made his MLB Debut on against the Toronto Blue Jays on Sunday Afternoon in a 5-1 win. He has a .250 batting average and one RBI in three games with the Yankees so far. Last week's ranking: not ranked.
8. Cleveland Indians: The Indians are off to a 12-9 start and they lead the AL Central at the moment. They play in the weakest division in baseball and this slow start isn't a major alarm for them. The Indians took three out of four on the road over the weekend against the Baltimore Orioles, but the Indians got smacked 10-3 on Tuesday Night at home against the Chicago Cubs. Cleveland has 27 home runs as a team but Jose' Ramirez has seven of them and Yonder Alonso has five of them. The Indians have a power issue and they aren't scoring as many runs. Last week's ranking: 8.
7. Milwaukee Brewers: The Brew Crew are 8-2 in their last 10 games and they are 15-9 to start the 2018 season. Milwaukee currently leads the NL Central by one game over the St. Louis Cardinals. Manager Craig Counsell has kept his team focused and poised to start the season. A lot of different players are contributing each and every game for Milwaukee. Lorenzo Cain has a .316 batting average with three home runs and eight RBI's, along with five stolen bases. Travis Shaw and Eric Thames each have 13 RBI's and Ryan Braun leads the team with 15 RBI's. Thames leads the team with seven home runs. Last week's ranking: not ranked.
6. Toronto Blue Jays: Toronto continues to stay afloat in the standings. They are 14-8 and in second place at the moment in the AL East. Toronto is three games back of Boston, but they are only one game up on New York. Toronto is just 3-5 against the Yankees this season, but they bounced back on Tuesday Night against Boston with a 4-3 win. Curtis Granderson hit a walk-off solo home run in that game. He hit his third of the season and Granderson also had three RBI's in the game. He has a .321 batting average as well and 12 RBI's. J.A. Happ struck out 10 batters in seven innings and gave up run one. Too bad the bullpen blew it for him. Toronto is a very talented team. Last week's ranking: 6.
5. New York Mets: The Mets won a big game on the road 6-5 in 10 innings against the St. Louis Cardinals. Yoenis Cespedes hit a moon shot three-run homer and Jay Bruce hit the game-winning homer in the 10th inning. New York is off to a 15-6 start. Mickey Callaway moved Matt Harvey to the bullpen. He pitched out of the bullpen in Tuesday Night's game and Harvey pitched two innings and gave up two hits and a run. He also walked a batter and struck out two. The Mets lost two out of three over the weekend against the Atlanta Braves on the road. They got PPD on Sunday Afternoon because of rain. Last week's ranking: 5.
4. Arizona Diamondbacks: The Arizona Diamondbacks might be the best team in the National League. They are very underrated and all they do is win. Arizona is 16-6 to start the season and they are 7-3 in their last 10 games. They played on the road against a tough Philadelphia Phillies team on Tuesday Night and Arizona beat them handily 8-4. Other than Paul Goldschmidt, outfielder A.J. Pollock might be the most important bat in the Diamondbacks lineup. His batting average is .282 with five home runs and 17 RBI's, along with six stolen bases. Arizona also has one of the better pitching staffs in all of baseball. Last week's ranking: 4.
3. Los Angeles Angels: The Angels are hitting a rough patch right now as they are just 4-6 in their last 10 games. They still have a very good record at 16-9 and they are 0.5 games back of the Houston Astros in the AL West. Los Angeles just took two out of three from the Houston Astros on the road. The Angels have a big series at home this weekend against the New York Yankees. Mike Trout is playing like an MVP right now with a .308 batting average 10 home runs and 18 RBI's, along with five stolen bases. Shohei Ohtani struggled on the mound in Tuesday Night's 8-7 win against the Houston Astros. He went 5.1 innings and gave up six hits and four runs. Ohtani walked five batters and struck out seven. He did pick up the win in that game and Ohtani is now 2-1 with a 4,.43 ERA and 26 K's. Last week's ranking: 2.
2. Houston Astros: They are just up 0.5 games on the Los Angeles Angels for the lead in the AL West. Houston avoided a sweep against Los Angeles with a 5-2 win at home on Wednesday Afternoon. The Astros record is 17-9. Justin Verlander continues to be a monster on the mound for Houston. He has a 4-0 record to start the season with a 1.36 ERA. Verlander has pitched in 39.1 innings and has given up 21 hits and seven runs. He has only walked eight batters and struck out 48. Carlos Correa has been the Astros better hitter in 2018 with a .341 batting average four homeruns and 19 RBI's, along with two stolen bases. George Springer also has four homeruns, but he has 16 RBI's. His batting average is .257. Josh Reddick leads the team with six homeruns. Jose Altuve has a .333 batting average and 10 RBI's, along with one stolen base. He doesn't have a homerun yet this season. Last week's ranking: 3.
1.Boston Red Sox: The Red Sox are 17-5 to start the MLB season. They lost a rough 4-3 game in extra innings against the Toronto Blue Jays on the road on Tuesday Night. Mookie Betts has been Boston's best hitter with a .344 batting average with six homeruns and 14 RBI's, along with two stolen bases. Rafael Devers leads the team with 17 RBI's. He also had a .282 batting average and three homeruns. Andrew Benintendi seems to be a fan favorite with the Red Sox. He has a .227 batting average with one homerun and 13 RBI's, along with three stolen bases. Chris Sale has started five games, but he just has a 1-1 record with a 1.86 ERA. Sale has pitched in 29 innings and given up 22 hits and six runs. He has only walked six batters and struck out 41. Craig Kimbrel is 5-for-5 in saves this season. He has a 0-1 record with a 1.08 ERA. Kimbrel has pitched in 8.1 innings and given up three hits and one run. He has walked four batters and struck out 11. Ricky Porcello has been amazing for Boston so far this season with a 4-0 record and a 1.93 ERA. He has pitched in 32.2 innings and Porcello gave up 23 hits and seven runs. He has only walked four batters and struck out 32. Last week's ranking: 1.