Write & Earn
Notifications

Former champion Cink pulls out of British Open

May 14, 2015; Charlotte, NC, USA; Stewart Cink waves to fans during the first round at Quail Hollow Club. Mandatory Credit: Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
May 14, 2015; Charlotte, NC, USA; Stewart Cink waves to fans during the first round at Quail Hollow Club. Mandatory Credit: Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports

LONDON (Reuters) - Former champion Stewart Cink has withdrawn from this month's British Open at Royal Troon, organisers said on Wednesday.

The 43-year-old American won the tournament at Turnberry in 2009, beating 59-year-old compatriot Tom Watson in a playoff.

Cink said in May he was taking time off the Tour to care for his wife Lisa who had been diagnosed with breast cancer.

(Reporting by Ed Osmond; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Fetching more content...