Captain - Shreyas Iyer
Vice Captain - NA
Ambassador(S) - NA
Jersey - Blue with a red accent.
Theme Song - Roar Macha
Major Rival(s) - Chennai Super Kings, Kings XI Punjab, Kolkata Knight Riders.
Logo - A shield with Delhi Capitals written with three tigers below it and a silhouette of the red fort.
Table of Contents
- DC History
- Administration and Support Staff
- Team Sponsors
- All-time Team Stats
- Batting Stats
- Bowling Stats
- Team Performance
- Fan Base
- DC Squad: Players to Watchout
- FAQs on Delhi Capitals
The Delhi Capitals, formerly known as Delhi Daredevils, is a franchise cricket team based in Delhi, which participates in the Indian Premier League. The Delhi Daredevils rebranded themselves as Delhi Capitals in 2019. The team has Arun Jaitley stadium, in Delhi for its home ground. The team is currently led by the young Indian batsman, Shreyas Iyer. One of the most successful captains of world cricket, Ricky Ponting is DC's head coach. The Capitals have reached an IPL Final just once, and are yet to win the title.
- Virender Sehwag was named the captain.
- Delhi Daredevils showed great promise in the first season.
- They reached the semi finals but we're however knocked out by the Rajasthan Royals who went on to lift the inaugural title.
- Dominating the entirety of the 2009 season, Daredevils reached the top of the table when the group stages ended, thanks to their captain Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, AB de Villiers and Dirk Nannes.
- However they again crumbled in the semi-finals against Deccan Chargers. Adam Gilchrist struck IPL's fastest fifty off 17 balls.
- Dinesh Karthik became captain of the Delhi based franchise.
- Daredevils fell short of receiving the semi finals finishing fifth.
- James Hopes assumed captaincy duties.
- Yet another disappointing season for the Daredevils finishing right at the last at 10th place.
- Mahela Jayawardene was made the captain.
- Delhi crumbled again at the semi finals finishing third.
- Daredevils had yet another captaincy change in Ross Taylor.
- Delhi finished at the bottom of the table at 9th place.
- David Warner was named captain of the Daredevils.
- The 2014 edition was played in the UAE.
- Daredevils finished eighth at the bottom of the table.
- Kevin Pietersen assumed captainship responsibilities.
- Delhi bought Yuvraj Singh for 16 crores.
- Delh Daredevils was on the receiving end of criticism from experts and fans alike due to their poor performance.
- Delhi Daredevils finished seventh in this season.
- JP Duminy was appointed captain of the Daredevils.
- The Daredevils had an impressive start to the sixth season.
- Although they were the favourites to reach the playoffs, however they finished sixth on the points table.
- Zaheer Khan was appointed the captain of Delhi Daredevils.
- Delhi finished 6th in the 2017 IPL season.
- Gautam Gambhir was appointed the captain of the Delhi team.
- He however stepped down viewing his poor forms which opened the doors of captaincy for the young Shreyas Iyer.
- It was a disappointing season for the Delhi franchise but they finished the season at the eight place.
- Delhi Daredevils changed their name to Delhi Capitals.
- Delhi retained 14 players from its previous roster. Indian opener Shikhar Dhawan joined them as a result of a trade with Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- Sourav Ganguly became their official advisor.
- Delhi Capitals reached the playoffs after seven whole years.
- They however lost in the playoffs and ended second runners up.
- Delhi Capitals reached their first-ever IPL final
- DC's recent additions before the 2021 IPL are- Steve Smith, Umesh Yadav, Ripal Patel, Vishnu Vinod, M Siddarth, Lukman Meriwala, Tom Curran and Sam Billings
Administration and Support Staff
CEO: Vinod Bisht
Head Coach: Ricky Ponting
Assistant Coach: Mohammad Kaif
Fast Bowling Coach: James Hopes
Spin Bowling Coach: Samuel Badree
Talent Scout: Vijay Dahiya
Physiotherapist: Patrick Farhart
The Delhi Capitals will be sponsored by JSW Group, Apollo Steel Tubes, Ebix Cash, Jio, Acko, OK Credit, Bond Tite, Bodycare, Nissin, Colgate, Dream11, livinguard, kotak, BKT, Western Digital, Boat, Coca Cola and Fancode during IPL 2021.
All-time Team Stats
Most Runs: Virender Sehwag: 2382 runs
Most Centuries: Shikhar Dhawan, David Warner: 2
Most Fifties: Virender Sehwag: 17
Fastest Fifty: Chris Morris- 17 balls
Fastest Century: Virender Sehwag: 48 balls
Best Batting Average: Albie Morkel: 86.00
Best Strike Rate: Ishant Sharma: 333.33
Most Sixes: Rishabh Pant: 103
Most Fours: Virender Sehwag: 292
Highest Individual Score: Rishabh Pant- 128*
Most Wickets: Amit Mishra: 104 wickets
Best Economy: Roelof van der Merwe: 6.22
Best Bowling Figures: Amit Mishra- 4-17-5
Best Bowling Average: Doug Bracewell: 10.67
Most Maidens: Irfan Pathan: 7
Most Runs Conceded: Umesh Yadav- 4-65-0
Most 4 Wickets: Kagiso Rabada: 4
|Year||Captain||Result||Top Batsman||Runs||Top Bowler||Wickets||Win %|
|2020||Shreyas Iyer||2nd||Shikhar Dhawan||618||Kagiso Rabada||30||52.94|
|2019||Shreyas Iyer||3rd||Shikhar Dhawan||521||Kagiso Rabada||25||62.50|
|2018||Shreyas Iyer||8th||Rishabh Pant||684||Trent Boult||18||35.71|
|2017||Zaheer Khan||6th||Sanju Samson||386||Pat Cummins||15||42.85|
|2016||JP Duminy||6th||Quinton de Kock||454||Chris Morris||13||50.00|
|2015||Kevin Pietersen||7th||JP Duminy||414||Imran Tahir||15||35.71|
|2014||David Warner||8th||JP Duminy||410||Imran Tahir||9||14.28|
|2013||Ross Taylor||9th||David Warner||410||Umesh Yadav||16||18.75|
|2012||Mahela Jayawardene||3rd||Virender Sehwag||495||Morne Morkel||25||68.75|
|2011||James Hopes||10th||Virender Sehwag||424||Morne Morkel||13||28.57|
|2010||Dinesh Karthik||5th||Virender Sehwag||356||Amit Mishra||17||50.00|
|2009||Gautam Gambhir||3rd||AB de Villiers||465||Ashish Nehra||19||71.42|
|2008||Virender Sehwag||4th||Gautam Gambhir||534||Yo Mahesh||16||50.00|
Despite disappointing performances season after season, Delhi Capitals has still managed to establish a loyal fan base. So far, Delhi has managed to reach an IPL Final just once, and yet fans continue to rally behind their team. Cricket had been a popular sport in the nation's capital and the city had produced several international cricketers in the past.
The official Instagram handle of DC has over 2.2 million followers whereas the Twitter account has 1.7 million followers. On YouTube the official Delhi Capitals account has close to 350K subscribers. Delhi Capitals' Facebook page is also very active with regular updates and uploads with 7.2 million followers.
DC Squad: Players to Watchout
#1. Shikhar Dhawan
India’s ace opener is a master of the game. Shikhar Dhawan is simply a treat to watch when he is on the go. He was the highest run scorer for the Capitals with 521 runs in IPL 2019 and with 618 runs in IPL 2020. He will once again hold one of the two opening slots for DC in IPL 2021.
#2. Shreyas Iyer
Team India No. 4 in T20I cricket, Shreyas Iyer, has taken the responsibility of the Delhi Capitals like fish to water. The team has clearly flourished under his leadership for the past three years and have stepped up for each of the last three seasons. Battling with shoulder injuries ahead of IPL 2021, the 14th edition of the IPL might be the toughest for Iyer.
#3. Rishabh Pant
Probably one of the most dynamic young Indian batsmen. He began his Test career with a six. One can only imagine how dangerous he becomes when it comes to T20 cricket. He was the highest run scorer for DD in 2018 with 684 runs. Since then, he has improved his game where he was criticized the most - maturity. 2021 has been the most successful year for Pant in international cricket so far and might want to reflect the same in the IPL.
#4. Amit Mishra
Amit Mishra brings a lot of experience along with him. He is the most successful Indian bowler in the history of IPL. The 38-year-old leg spinner is basically a wizard when it comes to spinning the ball and bamboozling batsmen across teams, age groups, batting positions and nationalities.
#5. Ravichandran Ashwin
R Ashwin is undoubtedly one of the biggest catches for the DC Squad as they roped him in from the Kings XI Punjab (now Punjab Kings) in IPL 2020. With someone like Ravi Ashwin in their troops, the Delhi team looks far more formidable than ever before especially in the spin department.
FAQs on Delhi Capitals
Q1. Which players did DC retain before the 2021 auctions?
A. DC retained the following players before the 2021 auction : Shreyas Iyer, Ajinkya Rahane, Amit Mishra, Avesh Khan, Axar Patel, Harshal Patel, Ishant Sharma, Kagiso Rabada, Prithvi Shaw, R Ashwin, Rishabh Pant, Shikhar Dhawan, Shimron Hetmyer, Marcus Stoinis, Lalit Yadav, Anrich Nortje, Daniel Sams, Pravin Dubey, Chris Woakes
Q2. Who were the players bought by DC in the 2021 auctions?
A. DC team 2021 players list reveal that the Capitals have bought the following players in the 2021 auction : Steve Smith, Umesh Yadav, Ripal Patel, Vishnu Vinod, M Siddarth, Lukman Meriwala, Tom Curran and Sam Billings