Highlights of U.S. Open first day
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Highlights from day one of the U.S. Open tennis championships on Monday (all times GMT):
0300 CIBUKKOVA SURVIVES CEPELOVA SCARE
- Slovakia's Dominika Cibulkova, the women's 11th seed, had a slow start against unseeded compatriot Jana Cepelova, losing the first set in a tiebreak, but fought back to win the match 6-7(5) 6-3 6-2.
0250 SHARAPOVA STORMS PAST HALEP
- Maria Sharapova marked her return to grand slam action with a 6-4 4-6 6-3 first-round victory over second seed Simona Halep in a match that lasted 2 hours and 42 minutes.
- Sharapova extended her head-to-head advantage over world number two Halep to 7-0.
- The 30-year-old Russian, who returned from a 15-month doping ban in April, recorded her first victory over a top 10 player since beating Petra Kvitova in the Fed Cup final in November 2015.
0016 WOZNIACKI MARCHES INTO ROUND TWO
- Fifth seed Caroline Wozniacki kicked off her campaign with a 6-1 7-5 first-round victory over Mihaela Buzarnescu of Romania.
- Two-times runner-up Wozniacki aims to go one better on her 11th appearance at the Flushing Meadows.
2235 QUERREY EASES PAST SIMON
- American Sam Querrey booked a place in the second round with a 6-4 6-3 6-4 victory over France's Gilles Simon.
- Querrey, who reached his first grand slam semi-final at Wimbledon earlier this year, registered 31 winners and claimed 20 off 27 points at the net on his way to victory.
2215 MULLER KNOCKS OUT TOMIC
- Wimbledon quarter-finalist Gilles Muller fired 27 aces on his way to a 3-6 6-3 6-4 6-4 first-round victory over Australian Bernanrd Tomic.
2150 HOME FAVOURITE VENUS SURVIVES KUZMOVA SCARE
- Ninth seeded American Venus Williams beat Slovakian qualifier Viktoria Kuzmova 6-3 3-6 6-2 to reach the second round.
- Twice champion Venus preserved her personal record of never losing in the opening round of the U.S. Open in 19 appearances.
2125 STEPHENS EASES PAST VINCI
- American Sloane Stephens reached the second round with a 7-5 6-1 win over 2015 finalist Roberta Vinci of Italy.
2105 SHAPOVALOV OFF TO FLYING START
- Canadian Denis Shapovalov beat Russian Daniil Medvedev 7-5 6-1 6-2 in the first round to claim his first ever grand slam main draw win.
2015 KRUNIC STUNS KONTA
- Serbian Aleksandra Krunic fought back from a set down to clinch a 4-6 6-3 6-4 victory over seventh seeded Briton Johanna Konta.
- Wimbledon semi-finalist Konta struggled to find her touch for the majority of the match, landing only 45 percent of her first-serves. She also finished with a disappointing tally of 42 unforced errors.
1945 AMERICAN ISNER THROUGH
- Big-serving American John Isner fired 22 aces on his way to a 6-1 6-3 4-6 6-3 first-round victory over France's Pierre-Hugues Herbert.
- Isner will meet South Korean Chung Hyeon in the second round.
1940 CILIC ADVANCES TO ROUND TWO
- Fifth seed Croatian Marin Cilic beat American Tennys Sandgren 6-4 6-3 3-6 6-3.
- Cilic, the 2014 winner, recorded 55 winners and 57 unforced errors to seal a victory after two hours and 47 minutes.
1930 TSONGA STORMS PAST COPIL
- Eighth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga produced 38 winners to claim a 6-3 6-3 6-4 first-round victory over Romania's Marius Copil.
- The 32-year-old Tsonga has struggled at the last two grand slam events, losing in the first round at Roland Garros before a third round exit at Wimbledon.
1910 KUKUSHKIN KNOCKS OUT FERRER
- Kazakh qualifier Mikhail Kukushkin beat twice semi-finalist and 21st seed David Ferrer 4-6 6-3 6-2 6-1.
1820 AMERICAN WILDCARD KENIN UPSETS DAVIS
- American Sofia Kenin upsets 32nd seed Lauren Davis 7-5 7-5.
- The 18-year-old wild card reached the second round of a grand slam for the first time in her career.
1647 KVITOVA BATTLES PAST JANKOVIC
- Petra Kvitova beat Serbian Jelena Jankovic 7-5 7-5 to reach the second round.
- The 13th seeded Czech has reached the second round of all three grand slams she has played since returning to action in May, following a lengthy injury layoff.
1620 MUGURUZA EASES PAST LEPCHENKO
- Third-seeded Spaniard Garbine Muguruza beat American Varvara Lepchenko 6-0 6-3 to reach the second round.
1515 PLAY BEGINS AT FLUSHING MEADOWS
(Compiled by Hardik Vyas, Aditi Prakash and Simon Jennings in Bengaluru; Editing by Ed Osmond, Pritha Sarkar and John O'Brien)