Indians enjoy a successful opening round at the ITF Juniors in Kolkata
Kolkata, January 20 (IANS)
Unseeded Indian Vanshika Sawhney defeated second-seeded Hsuan Pei Chen of Taipei in the opening round of the Girls Singles Under 18 at the ITF Juniors on Tuesday.
In a dominant display, Sawhney conceded only three games in the entire encounter, to win it by a 6-2, 6-1 scoreline, here at the red clay courts of the Dakshin Kalikata Sansad sports complex.
India's Mayukh Rawat got the better of 5th seed Hua Chen Yu of Taipei 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 in the opening round in the under 18 Boys Singles.
Kolkata boy Parikshit Somani entered the pre-quarter-finals as Uzbekistan's Sharobiddin Abzalov retired at 7-5, 5-3 citing an ankle sprain.
Tuesday's match scores (IND, if not specified):
Boys Singles Under 18 (Round 1, remaining)
- Mayukh Rawat bt Hua Chen Yu (TPE)(5) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Udayan Bhakar (7) bt Sumit Pal Singh 6-4, 6-3
- Parikshit Somani bt Sharobiddin Abzalov (UZB) 7-5, 5-3 retd
- Alex Solanki (2) bt Shrey Gupta 7-6(4), 6-4
Girls Singles Under 18 (Round 1, remaining)
- Qianhui Tang (CHN) bt Shivani Manjanna 6-1, 6-0
- Yang Lee (TPE)(7) bt K. Balasubramanian 6-0, 6-0
- Mushouna (CHN) bt Nida Kamal 6-2, 6-3
- Y. Jittakoat (THA)(6) bt Akansha Bhan 7-6(5), 6-1
- Vanshika Sawhney bt Pei Hsuan Chen (TPE)(2) 6-2, 6-1