Madrid, Nov 21 (IANS) Germany's Angelique Kerber managed to end 2016 on top of the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) singles rankings released on Monday, ahead of US Open runner-up Serena Williams.
The German has been leading the rankings since September 12 after she claimed the titles of the US Open and the Australian Open, in addition to winning a silver medal at the Olympic Games, reports Efe.
Kerber is the second German to top the WTA rankings after her compatriot Steffi Graf, who finished the season eight times as number one between 1987 and 1996.
The current WTA rankings and point scores are as follows:
1. Angelique Kerber (Germany) 9,080 points
2. Serena Williams (United States) 7,050 points
3. Agnieszka Radwanska (Poland) 5,600 points
4. Simona Halep (Romania) 5,228 points
5. Dominika Cibulkova (Slovakia) 4,875 points
6. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 4,600 points
7. Garbiñe Muguruza (Spain) 4,236 points
8. Madison Keys (United States) 4,137 points
9. Svetlana Kuznetsova (Russia) 4,115 points
10. Johanna Konta (England) 3,640.