Olympic velodrome to be ready in July, says Rio mayor
Rio de Janeiro, June 14 (IANS) Construction work on Rio de Janeiro's Olympic velodrome will not be completed until mid-July, city Mayor Eduardo Paes said here.
But the track will be ready for competition within a fortnight and testing will take place as planned on June 25, Paes told reporters on Monday, reports Xinhua news agency.
Last month the city of Rio de Janeiro cancelled a contract with debt-saddled constructor Tecnosolo to build the velodrome amid mounting concerns about work delays.
A new contract was awarded to Engetecnica to complete the works under the supervision of the city government.
The velodrome will stage track cycling at this year's Games, to be held from August 5 to 21. The venue was originally scheduled to open last year.
"We are going to deliver the velodrome complete and ready. We will have a test on June 25 for the benefit of the athletes," Paes said.
"From a sporting perspective, it is almost ready, including the track, lighting, air conditioning and access points. The final touches still need to be applied but there is no doubt it will be ready for the Olympics," Paes added.
Brazil's interim President Michel Temer is due to inspect Rio's Olympic venues on Tuesday. During the visit he is expected to announce the approval of a $290 million loan for Rio's state government to complete a new Metro line to Barra da Tijuca, the neighborhood that is home to Olympic Park and the athletes' village.