⚡️ Get the free App now
Favorites Edit

OP Jaisha tests positive for Swine flu

Modified 20 Dec 2019, 07:52 IST
OP Jaisha
OP Jaisha fainted due to dehydration at the Rio Olympics

OP Jaisha, the national record-holding marathon runner, who had recently returned to India from Rio after competing in the Olympics, tested positive for the H1N1 virus.

Jaisha is the second athlete after the 30-year-old Sudha Singh, her training partner, was found to be suffering from the same disease. Reports suggested that Sudha was carrying the type A influenza strain. The 30-year-old who participated in the steeplechase competition at Rio was undergoing treatment and required medication for a suspected Zika virus after she returned to India.

As reported by Sportstar, Jaisha had gone through the tests on Wednesday at the state-run Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseases (RGICD). The Director of the RGICD Shashidhar Buggi said, “Although her symptoms were mild, we had started her on Tamiflu, the anti-viral drug for treatment of H1N1. We had asked her to get admitted but she refused.”

Also read: OP Jaisha refused any extra refreshments or water on asking: Coach Nikolai Snesarev 

The Director further added that Jaisha was reported to have a mild fever, body ache, joint pain and the runner was also suffering from exhaustion. In an earlier report, Jaisha alleged that she was not provided with water or energy drinks during the marathon. It was also reported that after completing the event with a timing of 2:47:19, the runner collapsed at the finish line and required medical help.

As quoted from the Times of India, Jaisha said, “It was very hot there. The competition was at 9am, I ran in scorching heat. There was no water for us, neither recovery drinks nor food. Only once in 8kms did we get water (from the Rio organisers) which did not help at all. All the countries had their stalls at every 2kms but our country’s stall was empty.”

Also read: Know your Indian Olympian: 10 things to know about OP Jaisha  

The Sports Authority of India (SAI) reported that it was very difficult to convince Jaisha to get her blood samples tested at the Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseases. As quoted by PTI, the SAI Regional Director Shyam Sunder said, "It was an arduous task to convince Jaisha to get her blood samples tested at the virology institute. She ignored our counselling and moved out of the SAI premises on 21 August after applying for leave.”

It is not known for how long Jaisha could be out of action. 

Published 26 Aug 2016, 11:59 IST
Fetching more content...