ICC aims to tone down disrespectful behaviour and sledging
Dave Richardson wants an improvement on player behaviour at the Cricket World Cup.
Dubai, Jan 20 - The International Cricket Council (ICC) is aiming to tone down on-field disrespectful behaviour and sledging during the World Cup which commences in Australia and New Zealand on February 14.
"Over the last six months, or even going back further to the last Ashes series, there have been too many examples of player behaviour going too far and overstepping the boundaries of acceptabilities. The amount of sledging and disrespect shown by players to each other was bad," ICC chief executive David Richardson said in a statement on Tuesday.
"Since then, we have done a lot of work with our umpires and match referees to ensure that they are much more pro-active in terms of policing behaviour on the field and when players do over-step the mark, taking appropriate action."
The former South Africa wicketkeeper stressed the need for players to remember their responsibilities to uphold the sport's integrity at all times.
"Over the last three or four months you have seen 12 ICC Code of Conduct charges laid against people for exactly that - disrespectful behaviour on the field," said Richardson, who featured in the Proteas squad that reached the 1992 World Cup semis, the last time the event was staged by Australia and New Zealand.
"For the World Cup, it will be no different and at all pre-event briefings with the teams, the match referees will be making sure that that message is delivered loud and clear."