Jason Holder: Dwayne Bravo, Kieron Pollard omission a 'huge loss'
Sydney, Feb 9 (IANS) West Indies captain Jason Holder has conceded that the omission of all-rounders Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard is a major loss for the Caribbean side.
Speaking ahead of the Windies' first official warm-up match against England, Holder said the duo were seasoned campaigners but was quick to point out that players selection remained the remit of selectors, reported CMC.
"Not having them would be a huge loss to any side but it's beyond our control and we have to accept it and move on," Holder said.
"As I said before, they are two players, who have done well in world cricket. At this present day they're not here and that's beyond our control. So we have to accept that and move on."
Both players were axed for the five-match series against South Africa last month and were also overlooked for the World Cup campaign. Bravo, the most experienced all-rounder in the Caribbean, was dumped as captain and replaced by Holder.
The decision to drop Bravo and Pollard led to claims of victimisation, especially against the backdrop of the players' roles in the abandoned tour of India last October. With the two senior players out of the World Cup, most of the attention, as expected, has come to rest on superstar opener Chris Gayle.
The left-hander has scored a single half-century in his last 17 one-day innings and averaged a measly 13 during this period.
Holder said the unit was hoping for his return to form.
"No doubt Chris is a big player for any team he's played for. He's been one of the most prolific batsmen for us in the last few years," Holder added. "So it's just for Chris to play himself, be his normal self and just get the best out of him."