Update 2: Konami has been very clear regarding the cancellation of Silent Hills through another statement via Kotaku. “Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles, however the embryonic ‘Silent Hills’ project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued. In terms of Kojima and Del Toro being involved, discussions on future Silent Hill projects are currently underway, and please stay tuned for further announcements.”
You must have read the article that reported that Silent Hills, the collaboration between Hideo Kojima, Guillermo Del Toro, and Norman Reedus, was cancelled. However, there has been some argument about whether the project has been completely cancelled or simply retooled following the possible separation of Kojima from Konami. Today, Konami has responded to the claims via Gamespot. However, they have failed to answer the questions clearly as when they were questioned regarding the cancellation of Silent Hills, they simply said, “We will continue to develop the Silent Hill series.”
Of course, this doesn’t clarify whether the game known as Silent Hills will continue without Kojima, or if it has been cancelled entirely. Most of the clues suggest that the game is being cancelled. The subsequent removal of P.T., the “Playable Teaser” that originally announced the existence of Silent Hills, seems to fit with the cancellation narrative. As for me, I hope the game retooled to the point that it is a totally different game from what was originally intended as it a better option when compared to the cancellation of the game.
Fans were excited that Silent Hill would be making a comeback, but the hope was that Kojima and Del Toro could put together a sequel that was worthy of the name. If either of them are out of the project, the fans deserve to know. We may be seeing Silent Hill games in the future but I suppose the fans would not be very interested after the departure of Kojima.
UPDATE: An FAQ was issued to Eurogamer. It doesn’t answer too many questions, but you can see it below:
- Why has the image of Norman Reedus disappeared from the official website?
- This is because our contract period with him has expired.
- Why is “P.T.” no longer available on Playstation Network?
- Because the distribution period has expired.
- What will happen with regard to “SILENT HILL”?
- Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. will continue to develop the “SILENT HILL” series.
- What will happen with regard to “P.T.”?
- P.T. was purely created to be a playable teaser for “SILENT HILL.”
- What do you mean by “playable teaser”?
- The playable teaser was a trial edition of “SILENT HILLS” intended to give players an idea of the game concept.