COOKIE CONSENT
Create
Notifications
Favorites Edit
Advertisement

Video Game News: Ubisoft is publishing the Division 2 on Epic Games Store, Skipping Steam

Gautam Nath
ANALYST
News
85   //    10 Jan 2019, 02:15 IST

Image result for division 2

Ubisoft has announced that they will be releasing Tom Clancy's The Division 2 on Epic Games Store and they will be skipping publishing it on Steam entirely. This decision was made, possibly because of the difference in pay cuts that are offered by Epic Game Store. Ubisoft is releasing The Division 2 on 15 March 2018.

Get all the latest Video Game News on Sportskeeda.

Epic Games announced earlier that their cut for publishers will be 88%-12% (88% of the sales goes to the game publisher and 12% goes to Epic). Steam takes a whopping 30% of the sales revenue and leaves publishers with 70%. To be fair, Steam has been in the publishing gig for so long and they also offer Steam workshop, stickers and much more which other game publishers do not offer.

The Division 2 will also be released on the Ubisoft store and can be accessed via UPlay. This has left many video game veterans and casual players with the question, "why should we use Epic Games platform"? It clearly makes sense from a business viewpoint. but from a consumer's point of view, it's hard to justify. Game companies have already pushed us with many services such as Battle.net, Bethesda launcher, Origin and UPlay. If consumers who use Steam for almost all games, why would they use Epic Games platform?

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 is a sequel to the 2016 standalone game Tom Clancy's The Division. The game features many gritty missions in their campaign mode. They also have co-op and multiplayer modes for those with a more competitive nature. In addition to the PC release, The Division 2 will also be released for the PS4 and Xbox One on March 15

With Telltale doing the same with the final seasons of their hit series Walking Dead, will Steam need to rethink its strategy when selling and publishing?


Gautam Nath
ANALYST
Advertisement
Fetching more content...