⚡️ Get the free App now
Favorites Edit

AFC Cup: Mohun Bagan held to 1-1 draw by Yangon United

13 Apr 2016, 19:36 IST
Cornell Glen
Cornell Glen celebrates after scoring a goal.

Yangon United ended Mohun Bagan's winning streak in the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Cup after three games as the hosts claimed a 1-1 draw in a group phase clash here on Wednesday.

Brazilian forward Adilson put the home side in front on 25 minutes, before the visitors responded through Cornell Glen's 41st-minute leveller at the Youth Training Centre Stadium.

And despite chances at either end in the second half neither side could break the deadlock, although the draw does mean that I-League champions Mohun Bagan remain on top of the Group G standings with 11 points after four matches. Yangon are second with five points from four matches. Only two group stage fixtures are left to play.

"For sure, we would have liked to have won but a draw away from home against a good strong side like Yangon is also a good result," said Mohun Bagan coach Sanjoy Sen after the match.

"A win would have been ideal but a point helps us on our way to qualification so we can't complain."

Mohun Bagan had the lion's share of possession in the opening period of the game it was the hosts who took the lead midway through the first half.

After superb interplay with team-mate Kyaw Ko-Ko just inside the box, 29-year-old striker Adilson steered home a left-footed effort past the diving Arnab Das Sharma in the Mohun Bagan goal.

Despite falling behind, Mohun Bagan forwards Glen and Subash Singh made life difficult for the Yangon defence and an equaliser four minutes before half-time. The Trinidadian latched onto an incisive through ball from Lenny Rodrigues to tap home the ball beyond Yangon keeper Luiz Fernando.

After the restart, it was Yangon who upped the tempo and forced the visitors to defend deep into their own half as the game's momentum swung their way.


And the pressure almost paid off immediately as Mohun Bagan defender Raju Gaikwad went close to scoring an own-goal, before Kyaw Ko Ko let two chances to retake the lead slip in quick succession as he was twice denied by the resolute Arnab.

In the 86th minute, though, the away side did have a glorious chance to snatch all three points at the death as Luciano Sobrosa ventured forward to get on the end of captain Katsumi Yusa's cross into the box, but his effort sailed over the bar.

"I'm disappointed we were unable to get a win, but I'm very happy with the performance of my players," said Yangon coach Marjan Sekulovski.

"We had six maybe seven chances but unfortunately we didn't manage to get a deserved second goal. Now we will regroup and prepare for the remaining games."

Fetching more content...