How exercise can cure osteoporosis
Specific exercises are important for curing Osteoporosis Exercise can help build strong bones and slow down bone loss & will benefit bones no ...
Exercise can help build strong bones and slow down bone loss & will benefit bones no matter at what age you start. For maximum benefit one should exercise regularly and combine low impact strength training exercises with weight-bearing exercises. Strength training helps strengthen muscles and bones in your arms and upper spine.
Weight-bearing exercises – such as walking, jogging, running, stair climbing, skipping rope, skiing and impact-producing sports – mainly affect the bones in your legs, hips and lower spine.
Swimming, cycling and exercising on machines such as elliptical trainers can provide a good cardiovascular workout, but because such exercises are low impact, they're not as helpful for improving bone health as weight-bearing exercises are.
Exercising regularly in childhood and adolescence can ensure that you will reach peak bone density.
You also need to participate in weight bearing exercise. For example: walking, dancing, jogging, stair climbing, racquet sports and hiking.
- Do not overdo or over stress during exercising.
- Do not sit in front of computer or TV for longer time
- Stabilize/support the joints e.g. OA knee while doing exercise
- Do not hold bad postures during exercises as it may lead to further complications
- Maintain a proper posture while sitting, standing or while doing any activity
- Do not walk or run on uneven surfaces
- Do not lift heavy objects
- Take little breaks while exercising
- Avoid sudden sit ups or any exercise that bends your back excessively
- Do not do high impact exercises
- Avoid twisting activities
- Triceps stretch
- Back and shoulder stretch
- Chest stretch
- Calf stretch
- Hams stretch
- Quads stretch
- Shoulder blades strengthening
- Hip flexors
- Hip extensor
- Hip abductor
- Pelvic tilt
Yogic management of osteoporosis
- Ardha matsyendrasana
- Supta pawanmuktasana
- Supta Udarakarshana
- Chaturanga dandasana
- Ek pada pranamasana
So check on your calcium levels, do exercises regularly and conquer osteoporosis!
Published with permission from BFY Sports and Fitness.