Cricket South Africa's domestic T20 tournament, CSA T20 Challenge 2016, is scheduled to start on the 12th of November in Wanderers, Johannesburg. The tournament will go ahead without a sponsor after its previous sponsor, courier company RAM, decided not to extend its four-year relationship with CSA. Cricket South Africa had roped in RAM as title sponsors for three years from the 2012-13 season. The tournament was then called the Ram Slam T20 competition.
However, as the reports of match-fixing started making rounds, RAM decided to end its deal with the board's T20 competition. The tournament will go on for more than a month - beginning on November 12 and stretching on till December 16.
The ICC has denied media reports that Aleem Dar has been withdrawn from England's Test series against India in November. A spokesperson from ICC said that Aleem Dar was not even appointed for the India-England Test series.
"Two things - a person can only be withdrawn if he had been appointed first and you know officials of the India-England series were never appointed with Dar in it. So how can someone say he has been withdrawn. Secondly, and more importantly, Dar had been named for the Australia-South Africa series and he is already in Perth for the first Test. Once his appointment was done for that series, it is very wrong to assume he has been withdrawn by ICC for the India series," the ICC spokesman was quoted as saying by India Today.
Former Australian cricketer Michael Kasprowicz is all set to return to Cricket Australia after standing down briefly in May 2016 as interim CEO of Queensland Cricket. The news came in after Geoff Cockerill stepped down from the position with 6 months remaining in his three-year contract.
Chairman of CA, David Peever said that he was thrilled by Kasprowicz's return. Cricbuzz quoted him as saying, "Michael has been a very effective director, with his knowledge of the sport and his background in business. His experience at senior management level within cricket will only enhance the contribution he will make around our board table. We look forward to welcoming him back to our deliberations in December."
The Australians will be taking on the South African in a three-match Test series that is scheduled to start on the 3rd of November. However, the war of words have already started between the two camps. Australian pace bowler Peter Siddle said on Monday that the Aussie bowlers will be looking to attack the inexperienced batsmen of the South African team.
"Throughout they have got a lot of inexperience, and I think that is something we can exploit and get stuck into," he said in a press conference. "If we can apply pressure to those senior guys, it is going to put a lot of pressure on their inexperienced ones. I think we have got the upper hand there with experience in our batting line-up."
The South Africans will be expecting a lot from the senior batsmen Hashim Amla and Faf du Plessis in the Test series after their iconic batsman AB de Villiers was ruled out due to an injury.
Krishnappa Gowtham, who claimed 7 wickets for Karnataka during his team's clash against Assam recently said that he considered Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh as his role model. Speaking to Deccan Herald he said, "My bowling style is inspired by Harbhajan Singh’s method. I have learnt a lot of things by just observing him. He's my role model."
Gowtham's seven wickets in the second innings against Assam received heaps of praise. Karnataka head coach, J. Arun Kumar was quoted by Deccan Herald as saying, "Gowtham is an effective bowler. He has finally got an opportunity to showcase his talent and he has made good use of this."
South African speedster Dale Steyn said that he was expecting the Australians to come hard at the m during the Test series which is scheduled to start on the 3rd of November. The right-arm bowler said that the Australians would be pumped after facing a Test whitewash in Sri Lanka and ODI whitewash against the South Africans.
"I wouldn’t expect anything less than for them to come hard at us. Not come hard in verbals or anything like that, we’re over that now. They guys are now professional enough to know where the line is," Steyn said in a press conference on Monday.
The Australians are scheduled to play a three-match Test series against the Proteas starting from 3rd of November.
Bangladesh Test skipper Mushfiqur Rahim has said that he wishes for his side to play more Tests against the top teams on a regular basis and added that their next aim now was to perform well in overseas conditions.
"It is really a great moment for Bangladesh cricket. They were 100 for none, but we had a belief that if we got one wicket, we could do it. The coach was a bit fired at tea, the guys bowled well and tried to work in good areas. New ball suits the England batsmen but after that it became tough.
"Our next target is to perform in overseas conditions. Our boys have done well and hopefully we can do well abroad. In the last one year or so, we have done well. Hopefully, the ICC and our board will get us a few more series against the big teams," Rahim said.
England all-rounder Ben Stokes was fined 15% of his match and was also handed one demerit point for breaching the ICC Code of Conduct during the second Test between England and Bangladesh in Mirpur on Sunday.
Stokes was accused of indulging in a verbal spat with Bangladeshi batsman Sabbir Rahman during the first session of play on day 3 of the Test match. The 25-year old didn't stop despite the repeated request from on-field umpires Kumar Dharmasena and S Ravi. The umpires also instructed the captain of the England team, Alastair Cook regarding Stokes's behaviour.
The charges on Stokes were laid on the on-field umpires and the third umpire Chris Gaffaney. The all-rounder admitted the offence and accepted the sanctions proposed by the match referee.
Australian quick Josh Hazlewood has said that he would like to see Peter Siddle in the Australian team for the opening Test against South Africa, which begins in Perth on Thursday.
"It is great to have Sids in the 12 and hopefully he gets a crack on Thursday.It is great to have an experienced player in the squad who can talk about the different players and the way to go about it. He is valuable come team-meeting time," Hazlewood said on Sunday.
Australia head coach Darren Lehmann has said that scrapping the coin toss could help the longer format of the game and stated that the visiting captain should be allowed to pick whether to bat or ball.
"I accept Twenty20 represents a significant challenge to that -and to the health of one-day international cricket, too -but the biggest challenge to the longest format,for me at least, comes not from Twenty20 but from the surfaces on which matches are being played
"Put simply, those surfaces are either far too bland or, conversely, are far too heavily weighted in favour of the home side. In both instances, that does Test cricket no good at all," the Australian head coach wrote in his autobiography.
"My solution to ensure the best possible pitches are produced is, at international level, to do away with the toss, with the visiting side given the option of whether they want to bat or bowl.
"That way the result is not decided by the toss of the coin, host boards have a greater incentive to produce decent pitches that are fair to both sides and the chances are that after five days the better side -rather than the one that has called correctly and thus been able to take advantage of favourable conditions -is the one what will come out on top," he added.