Maharashtra Boys shine in the Indian U18 Team that will represent India at International School Rugby Champonship in Hong Kong
Asian Schools Sports Federation (ASSF) is hosting the 2nd Asian School Rugby Sevens Championship 2016 at Hong Kong, China from 22nd to 26th July 2016. For the very first time, an Indian U18 Boys team will participate in this international Rugby Championship under the aegis of School Games Federation of India (SGFI).
A total of 10 Asian countries including Hong Kong, Singapore, Guam, India, China, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Mongolia and Sri Lanka will participate and fight the battle to claim victory in this championship.
Basis the performance of Maharashtra U19 & U17 boys in the 60th & 61st National School Games and selections trails concluded at Chennai in May 2016; seven players from across Maharashtra were selected to be a part of the Indian U18 team that will ultimately represent the nation at the 2nd Asian School Rugby Sevens Championship 2016.
The Rugby Association of Maharashtra (RAM) in conjunction with Directorate of Sports and Youth Services, Maharashtra conducted a rigorous training camp at District Sport Council, Mumbai City under the guidance of Indian Rugby Football Union (IRFU) coaches as a pre-prep to the championship.
This power packed Indian boys team will leave for Hong Kong, China on Thursday, 21st July 2016.
Speaking at this proud occasion, Sandeep Mosamkar, Joint Secretary, RAM said “It is extremely exciting and encouraging to see that Rugby is growing tremulously in Maharashtra. Rugby has been re-included in the Olympics after 92 years, and is now a part of Rio Olympics 2016.
“Currently 32 districts are actively playing competitive rugby in Maharashtra. All this progress could not have been possible without the humble support of Directorate of Sports and Youth Services, Maharashtra and Maharashtra Olympic Association. In recent past, the sate’s Rugby teams have secured laurels in National School Games and we are confident that they will make us proud at this championship as well.
”We are delighted to extend our full support to the team and wish the boys all the very best for the championship”.
Names of Maharashtra’s players selected in the Indian U18 Rugby squad participating in the Asian School Rugby Sevens Championship.
(1) Pruthviraj Patil, Shri Ram English High School, Kuditre, Kolhapur
(2) Shridhar Nigade, Shri Ram English High School, Kuditre, Kolhapur
(3) Shehbaz Kapoor from Shahaji Nagar Urdu Medium Municipal School, Chitta Camp,Mumbai Suburban
(4) Ishwar Rathod, Elphinstone College, M.G.Road, Fort, Mumbai
(5) Umesh Rathod, Siddharth College of Commerce and Economics, Fort, Mumbai
(6) Amay Poddar, The Cathedral and John Connon School, Mumbai
(7) Pankaj Singh, R. K. Talreja College, Ulhasnagar, Thane
With its increasing popularity, Rugby has been included in the SGFI and has been part of the 60th and 61st National School Games for Under-19 and Under-17 boys and girls. Maharashtra State Boys and Girls Rugby teams (in both the categories U17 and U19) have brought laurels to the State in 60th and 61st National School Games under the aegis of SGFI
- Maharashtra Under-19 Boys rugby team won Silver Medal at the 60th National School Games 2014-15 Rugby Championship held at Nagpur, Maharashtra under the aegis of SGFI
- Maharashtra U17 Boys Rugby team won Gold and U17 Girls Rugby team secured Silver Medal at the 61st National School Games 2015-16, Rugby Sevens Championship held at Bhubaneshwar, Odisha under the aegis of SGFI
- Maharashtra Under 19 Boys Rugby team won Silver and Maharashtra Under 19 Girls Rugby team secured Bronze Medal at 61st National School Games 2015-16, Rugby Championship held at, Jagdalpur (Bastar), Chhattisgarh under the aegis of SGFI