5 things you need to know about the TCS World 10k
Bangalore is all set to get on it's feet and get running as the eighth edition of the prestigious TCS World 10k run will be held there tomorrow (Sunday, May 17). Here is a collection of 5 facts and trivia you need to know about the run which has come to be known as one of the most respected and revered events in the running front here in India.
1. A whopping 25,000 people will be participating in this year's event, a massive turnout significantly higher than last year's figure. Starting from the city's famed Kanteerava Stadium, the run will chart a course through the heart of Bangalore, with the police already ensuring that traffic gets diverted appropriately.
2. Dominated by African athletes with most former winners hailing from Kenya and Ehtiopia, this year's event too will see yet another talented Kenyan, Olympic bornze medalist Micah Kogo running in the marathon. Joining him will be other star athletes from Africa, including Kogo's compatriots Japhet Korir, Belaynesh Oljira, Mamitu Daska and Aselefech Mergia Medessa from Ethiopia.
3. The 2015 edition of the TCS World 10k run has already managed to raise a staggering Rs 3 crore for various charities. Ever since its inception in 2008, the event has a reputation of raising noteworthy sums for more than 80 organisations and NGOs that help several sections of society in need, including children, women, elderly and the homeless.
4. Always a champion of inclusiveness, the event does not let the big names participating in the World category deter other amateurs and enthusiasts, ensuring there are separate categories like Open 10k run, CEO Dash, Senior Citizens' Run and Champions with disability.
5. Sponsored by Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) and conducted by Procam International, the total prize money of the event is over 194,000 USD and this year, the ambassador for the run is French sprinter Marie-Jose Perec. The noted athlete boasts of 3 Olympic gold medals and remains the first-ever athlete to win consecutive Olympic gold medals in the 400 m dash between the years.
For those in Bangalore, this is definitely one running event that is not to be missed at any cost.