Usain Bolt to retire after 2017 World Championships
The fastest man on the planet, Usain Bolt will not be seen in action beyond the 2017 World Championships scheduled to be held in London. The Jamaican sprinter had earlier indicated that 2016 Rio Olympics will be his last event.
"That was the initial plan [to retire after the Rio Games]," Bolt told The Daily Mail. "But my sponsor has asked me to go on for another year, to 2017 and London.
"I'll be doing one event, the 100. I've already discussed it with my coach. I can concentrate on that, and on retiring on a winning note."
The six-time Olympic gold medallist has his eyes set on the 2015 World Championships in Beijing from August 22-30. He will aim to add to his eight world gold medals at the event. The 100 m World record holder will attempt to better his mark of 9.58 seconds set at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin.
"If everything goes well this season... in my life anything is possible," he said.
“If I can get myself in good shape, it should be wonderful this season. I live for competition. I thrive on competition. I live to compete against the best. It means a lot when you beat the best, he added.
The 28-year old recollected memories from the Beijing Olympics.
"I remember when I won in Beijing (at the 2008 Olympics), people were saying how Tyson (Gay) wasn't there. So for me the World Championship the following year, when everyone was there, that was good."
Bolt is also the world record holder in the 200 m with a timing of 19.19 seconds.