Ayonika Paul: 10 things to know about India's talented shooter headed for the Rio Olympics 2016
Here are 10 things you might want to know about her.
1. Ayonika Paul was born on September 23, 1992 and studied in Swami Vivekananda High School in Chembur, Mumbai.
2. She used to be actively involved in basketball, water-polo, skating and dancing and was an excellent swimmer as a kid, but developed an interest in rifle shooting, and continued with that.
3. She is currently pursuing engineering in Mumbai and takes her studies and coaching very seriously.
4. She has been a part of Lakshya Shooting Club since 2015 and trains at Karnala Sports Academy, Navi Mumbai.
5. She has won a lot of laurels for the country in the juniors’ category, and made her announcement to the world by winning the gold in the International Junior Shooting Competition in Munich in 2008.
6. She won a silver medal in the 10m air rifle shooting event at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
7. She has also won a Bronze medal in the same event at the ISSF World Cup in the 2014 in Slovenia.
8. She is being coached and guided by Olympian Suma Shirur who is herself a specialist in the shooting event for the Rio Olympics.
9. She was selected by National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) along with Apurvi Chandela to represent in the 10m air rifle shooting event for India at Rio Olympics 2016.
10. She is being supported by OGQ, who are providing her with a sports psychologist and a world-class physiotherapist to help in her quest for Olympic glory.