Jason Gillespie denies applying for India's head coach position
Former Australian bowler and current Yorkshire coach Jason Gillespie confirmed via social media that he hasn’t applied to become India’s next coach. Reports had earlier suggested that Gillespie with fellow Australian Stuart Law were contenders but the former categorically denied that on Twitter on Thursday.
The 41-year-old Australian, who is one of the most highly-sought after coaches in the international circuit, was believed to be among the front-runners for the Indian coach job, according to resports after guiding Yorkshire to back-to-back County Championships wins with a core group of players that have gone on to represent England regularly since then.
The World Cup winner was also in pole position for the England coaching job before he lost it at the end to his compatriot Trevor Bayliss. Since then, it has been reported that he has been interested in the vacant high-profile Indian job but he quashed those rumours once and for all with a tweet, where he responded to an article by the International Business Times.
Here is Gillespie’s tweet:
I have not applied. https://t.co/Hu2sSqJKKC— Jason Gillespie (@YCCCDizzy) June 9, 2016
The New Indian Express had also reported that according to sources in the BCCI, Gillespie had sent a detail document on his goals and ambitions with the Men in Blue if he is successful in his application.
In fact, it wasn’t too long ago that the 41-year-old decided against assisting Australian coach Darren Lehmann as the country’s bowling coach.
“There was always going to be speculation in light of [being named by Lehmann] and I can confirm he came to my place and we had a meal and a chat,” said Gillespie. “He brought up the fact there was a role coming up but I want to make it clear there was no job offer from Darren. He was merely gauging my interest.
“I said: ‘Thanks for the chat,’ and: ‘I really appreciate it, I’ll talk to you tomorrow.’ But I then informed him that I wasn’t going to put my name forward and that I wasn’t going to apply for a role with Cricket Australia.”
Later in the same interview, he added the reason for rejecting the offer, which is what made the reports coming in about his interest in the Indian job contradictory.
“Do I want to be away for 250-plus nights a year? At this point in time in my life, I’m not prepared to be away from my family for that length of time,” he said. “I’m a young coach and I’m still learning a lot. I’m enjoying my roles and it’s not on the radar.”
With just a day to go, India will be hoping that the current applicants don’t fold and a healthy field of applicants are there before a decision is taken.