Kieron Pollard quits first class cricket
Pollard has taken an indefinite break from First Class Cricket.
Port-of-Spain (Trinidad), March 10 (IANS) West Indies all-rounder Kieron Pollard is to take an "indefinite break" from first class cricket, Trinidad and Tobago (T&T) Cricket officials have confirmed. The confirmation came shortly after Pollard took five for 36 on Monday for T&T in a 175-run loss against the Windward Islands in the WICB Professional Cricket League (PCL) at the National Cricket Centre in Couva, reports CMC.
He will be out of the Red Force team for their next PCL four-day match against current leaders Guyana Jaguars in Guyana starting Friday.
"Pollard has informed the TTCB that he is taking an indefinite break from first class cricket," said the TTCB facebook page.
"Pollard is now unavailable for selection for the remainder of matches in the WICB Professional Cricket League Four-Day tournament".
Earlier this season, opening batsman Adrian Barath pulled out of the team saying he, too, was taking a break.
Pollard's announcement comes on the heels of countrymen Dwayne Bravo and Lendl Simmons' retirement from Test cricket.
Simmons is currently in the West Indies team taking part in the World Cup in New Zealand and Australia.
"The Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board would like to thank Kieron Pollard for his services in the first-class match against the Windward Islands," said another post on the TTCB facebook page.
"The board wishes him the best during his period of indefinite leave from first-class cricket and wishes him an early return."
Media reports from Port of Spain said Pollard sent an email to the CEO of the T&T Cricket Board and the team selectors informing them of the situation.
Pollard's appearance against the Windward Islands was his first match for T&T since the Nagico Super50 tournament in January, hosted by T&T.
He returned to the T&T line up against the Windwards after recovering from a leg injury.
"He (Pollard) said the stress and strain of the four-day cricket was taking a toll on his body. Well it is up to him, when he is ready he will return," said T&T Cricket Board chairman of selectors Alec Burns.
Fast bowler Shannon Gabriel and batsman Mark Deyal have been included in the T&T squad to face Guyana in the next round of the WICB four-day competition.
Gabriel replaces Daniel St Clair, who is suffering with a kidney infection and Deyal comes in for Akeal Hosein, who has had a disappointing season.