Pratima Singh: All you need to know about the Indian basketball player and Ishant Sharma's fiancee
Ishant Sharma has just got engaged to his lady-love Pratima Singh in a family ceremony at Uppal Orchid in Delhi on Sunday.
Here are 10 things that you should know about the Indian basketball icon who is about to get hitched to the Rising Pune Supergiants’ pacer:
1) Pratima Singh was born on 6th February 1990 in the Shivpur area in the holy city of Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh. Hailing from the distinguished “Basketball family of India”, she is the youngest of five sisters.
2) Together. all five Singh Sisters have represented the Indian women’s basketball team for over a decade now. Eldest Priyanka is a National Institute of Sports Basketball Coach while Divya currently coaches the U16 Indian Men’s Basketball Team. The 3rd and 4th sisters Prashanti and Akanksha are her fellow members in the national side, with the former serving in the role of the team’s captain at present.
3) She started treading the path of her family’s rich legacy in 2003 when she took up competitive basketball, playing for her home state Uttar Pradesh.
4) A passionate ambassador of the game, Pratima was named the captain of both Delhi and the Indian Junior Girls Basketball teams; both of whom she led to numerous accolades in state, national and international levels.
5) Standing at 173 cms(5 feet 8 inches), Pratima dons the swingman’s role in which she has displayed exemplary consistency while scoring as well as in guarding, over the years.
6) Since 2010, Pratima has been an integral part of the senior women’s national team. The same year, she travelled to Guangzhou, China for her first ever Asian Games.
7) Few of her achievements include a Gold Medal in Diploma in Sports Coaching from Netaji Subhash National Institute Of Sports, 2014-15, the Achievers Award from Women sports foundation of India 2013, and Top Scorer of the Tournament in Senior National Basketball Championship in Chennai, Tamil Nadu 2011-2012.
8) On the world platform, she has done India proud by winning a gold medal in the first 3×3 FIBA Asia Championship held in Doha, Qatar in 2013.
9) Basketball isn’t the only court she shines on. Pratima Singh holds an inclination towards fashion and modelling and was adjudged to be the second Most Glamorous Sports Woman in an open online contest .
10) Apart from the stylish avatar, Pratima proved her mettle as a fighter when she pushed her limits to get back in shape within a year of a serious knee injury and top scored for India in a 2012 tournament.