COOKIE CONSENT
Write & Earn
Notifications
Favorites Edit

The Ashes 2013: David Warner recalled for third Test

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
News 26 Jul 2013, 13:42 IST
1.57K

Australia Media Session

David Warner, who was dropped for the first two Ashes test on disciplinary grounds, is likely to rejoin the Australian team before the third Ashes Test at Old Trafford, Manchester on August 1.

The left-handed opener is expected to join the squad on Monday after he scored a brilliant 193 against South Africa ‘A’ in Pretoria last Wednesday.

Warner was banned by Cricket Australia after he threw a punch at England batsman Joe Root in a bar after an ICC Champions Trophy match in England last month.

He said in an interview: “Sitting on the sidelines and copping that punishment and not being selected it was a thing that I needed.

“I definitely needed a kick up the bum. It was my own fault the incident that happened. My job was then to support our players, support the rest of the group and do everything I could to help them prepare for the games. I did that and I know the other guys on the tour did the same thing. We’ve all been working very hard,” he added.

In order to gain some match experience and practice, Warner was sent to join the Australia ’A’ squad for their tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa.

However he couldn’t score much in his first two innings against Zimbabwe, but Warner returned to form making 193 against South Africa, and thus proving himself as a strong contender for an Ashes call up.

“I hadn’t really played for about 40 days so with no cricket under my belt I was fortunate enough to be sent here and get some game time in. I know I would have had to wait until after the first two Tests to get any game time over there otherwise,” Warner added.

Even coach Darren Lehmann supports Warner and said : “The slate’s pretty clean with him. We can’t control what’s happened in the past.”

“We’ve spoken about it and dealt with it. We’ll move on.”

Fetching more content...