Things that have happened since Gautam Gambhir last played for India
34 things that happened since Gautam Gambhir last played for India.
As expected, Gautam Gambhir made a comeback to the Indian team after a gap of over two years, courtesy injuries to regular openers KL Rahul and Shikhar Dhawan. This might be the final chance for Gambhir to prove himself as he is set to turn 35 next week.
The southpaw last played for India in August 2014 against England at The Oval, England. It has been 782 days (18,768 hours, 1,126,080 minutes, 67,564,800 seconds) since he took the field in International cricket. Many things took place around the world since then.
Here are few things that happened since 17 August 2014, the day when the fifth and the final Test between India and England ended.
1) India tried four different opening combinations (Dhawan-Rahul, Vijay-Rahul, Vijay-Dhawan, Pujara-Rahul) in Tests.
2) India won 9 out of the 18 tests they played. Out of the remaining 9, India managed to draw 6 and lose 3.
3) India’s ace spinner Ravichandran Ashwin took 100 Test wickets.
4) Four teams (South Africa, Australia, Pakistan and India) held the number 1 spot in the ICC Test rankings.
5) Indian cricket team had three different coaches (Duncan Fletcher, Ravi Shastri and Anil Kumble) apart from having Sanjay Bangar and R Sridhar as coaches for the series against Zimbabwe.
6) Apple launched 7 new iPhones.
7) WWE titles changed hands 11 times (John Cena, Brock Lesnar, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Sheamus, Roman Reigns, Triple H, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, AJ Styles) and two men (Finn Balor and Seth Rollins) held the WWE universal championship after the brand split.
8) Real Madrid and Chelsea changed their managers thrice.
9) Brexit took place.
10) Maggi was banned in India and it was brought back in few months’ time.
11) While speaking about Maggi, Rohit Sharma was dropped from the Test team four times and made a comeback five times.
12) Lionel Messi retired from International Football, made a comeback and scored a goal for Argentina.
13) Manchester United spent 310 million pounds on transfers.
Note: The forthcoming points should be taken with a pinch of humour
14) Virender Sehwag retired from all forms of cricket, became active on Twitter and started ruling the social media platform.
15) Shahid Afridi became younger by 8 years.
16) Diego Costa became older by 12 years.
17) Cristiano Ronaldo dived 45,764,687 times to get a penalty.
18) Lionel Messi failed to pay 462,345,926 Euros as his tax.
19) Yograj Singh and Gautam Gambhir made a total of 743,987 rubbish statements against MS Dhoni.
20) Brock Lesnar delivered 67,487 suplexes.
21) Paul Pogba had 27,368 different haircuts.
22) Leonardo di Caprio featured in 99,754,377,356,420 memes about him not winning an Oscar and then managed to win one.
23) Scientists found water on Mars.
24) Shikhar Dhawan failed to bat well on 91% of the total times he went out onto the field.
25) Arvind Kejriwal accused Narendra Modi 78,964,893 times on a number of issues.
26) Narendra Modi made 61,896 foreign trips
27) 269,147,958 babies were born. By the time you read this line, 875 new babies were born.
28) Suresh Raina failed to play a short ball on 10,653 occasions.
29) Kamran Akmal dropped 9,264,071 catches.
30) Shikhar Dhawan twirled his moustache 8,153,683 times.
31) Neymar posted 394,737,379 photos on Instagram.
32) Chris Jericho started the List of Jericho and added 6,917,358 names to it.
33) The guy sitting next to me smoked over 3,000 cigarettes.
34) The average waiting time at Silk Board junction in Bangalore increased from 33 minutes to 298 minutes.