Bengaluru FC and Royal Wahingdoh play out thrilling 3-3 draw

Ritabrata Banerjee
Royal Wahingdoh salvage a crucial point playing out an entertaining 3-3 draw against Bengaluru FC

Bengaluru FC and Royal Wahingdoh played out an exciting 3-3 draw at the Shri Kanteerava Stadium, Bengaluru. Kim Seong-Yong scored the opening goal of the match for the visitors in the 15th minute from a penalty. Robin Singh restored parity in the 39th minute for the home side. Just at the stroke of half time, Godwin Franco scored a superb goal from almost 20 yards away from the goal post to restore the lead for Royal Wahingdoh.

Second half substitution Shankar Sampingiraj equalized in the 58th minute. Bengaluru took the lead for the first time when Joshua Walker scored from the penalty spot in the 70th minute, but the home side could not enjoy the lead for long as Reagan Singh scored a blinder of a goal to make it equal.

Both the teams were high on confidence after their respective victories against formidable opponents like Sporting Clube de Goa and East Bengal. Bengaluru and Royal Wahingdoh displayed attacking brand of football which made the game exciting.

Forty five shots fired by two sides

The visitors drew first blood in the 15th minute when Kim Seong-Yong scored from the spot. The penalty was awarded as Joshua Walker had handled the ball earlier inside the penalty box.

The Blues kept on pressing in the attacking third launching series of attacks on the Royal Wahingdoh goal. Santosh Kashyap’s side too attacked whenever they got an opportunity from counter-attacks.

Bengaluru FC finally got their reward of attacking football in the 39th minute when Robin Singh found the back of the net. Eugeneson Lyngdoh had set up the move and Robin easily converted the goal.

Few minutes later Godwin Franco scored a screamer of a goal to restore Royal Wahingdoh’s lead just at the stroke of half time.

Ashley Westwood fielded Shankar Sampingiraj in the second half in place of an ineffective Thoi Singh. The substitution proved to be grand success as the India international scored, just after taking the field, in the 58th minute.

It became an end to end stuff from there on as both the teams looked ferocious in the attacking third. Bengaluru FC took the lead in for the first time in the match in the 70th minute after Joshua Walker scored from the penalty spot. Sean Rooney made a brilliant move but was brought down by the Wahingdoh custodian resulting in a spot kick.

Four minutes later, Reagan Singh scored the all important equalizing goal from a long range attempt. Reagan’s shot was deflected from Bengaluru defender.

The match ended in a thrilling 3-3 draw. League leaders Mohun Bagan will be beneficial from this result who now have a convincing 3 points lead at the top with 2 games in hand.

Edited by Staff Editor


Quick Links

More from Sportskeeda
Fetching more content...