Kolkata Derby: From the history book
The Derby: East Bengal vs Mohun Bagan
Venue: Salt Lake Stadium, Kolkata
East Bengal: Currently 2nd in the table with 21 points – Last Five matches in I League – WWWWD
Mohun Bagan: Currently 8th in the table with 12 points – Last Five matches in I League – DWDLD
Head to Head in NFL/I League
Total Matches – 30
East Bengal Won – 12
Mohun Bagan Won – 10
Drawn – 8
East Bengal Goals – 34
Mohun Bagan Goals – 28
Last two meetings in I League:
November 20, 2011
Mohun Bagan 1 (Odafa Okolie (Pen)) beat East Bengal 0
February 4, 2012
East Bengal 1 (Robin Singh) drew with Mohun Bagan 1 (Odafa Okolie)
Highest Margin of Victory
February 22, 2009
Leading Scorers in I League
Jose Barreto – 7 (All for Mohun Bagan)
Bhaichung Bhutia – 6 (2 for East Bengal, 4 for Mohun Bagan)
Syed Rahim Nabi – 4 (All for East Bengal)
Yusif Yakubu – 3 (All for East Bengal)
Head to Head in All Tournaments
Total Matches – 301
East Bengal Won – 112
Mohun Bagan Won – 85
Drawn – 104
East Bengal Goals – 273
Mohun Bagan Goals – 226
Highest Margin of Victory
September 29, 1975 (IFA Shield Final)
East Bengal 5 (Surajit Sen Gupta, Shyam Thapa-brace, Ranjit Mukherjee, Subhankar Sanyal) beat Mohun Bagan 0
Baichung Bhutia – 19 (13-East Bengal 6-Mohun Bagan)
Jose Ramires Barreto – 17 (All for Mohun Bagan)
Leading Scorers in I League 2012-13
Odafa Okolie (Mohun Bagan) – 8 goals
Chidi Edeh (East Bengal) – 6 goals
East Bengal have so far scored 505 goals in NFL/I League
(Season 2012-13- 15 goals)
Mohun Bagan have so far scored 447 goals in NFL/I League
(Season 2012-13 – 11 goals)
Nine interesting facts about the derby:
1) East Bengal and Mohun Bagan have met 30 times in the NFL/I League so far. While Mohun Bagan won the opening fixture 2-1, East Bengal had to wait till the fourth clash to register their first win.
2) Of the 30 meetings between the two giants in NFL/I League, 29 have been held in Kolkata’s Salt Lake Stadium, while one was held at Nehru Stadium at Margao in 1998-99. The Margao clash held in March ’99 ended in a 1-1 draw.
3) East Bengal have won four of their first derby clashes in NFL/I League (2000-01,2002-03,2003-04,2006-07) while Mohun Bagan have won six (1997-98,1999-00,2001-02,2007-08,2009-10,2011-12).
4) East Bengal holds the record of four back-to-back wins in derby clashes of NFL/I League – from 2002-03 to the second leg clash of 2003-04.
5) Chidi Edeh scored 4 goals in Mohun Bagan’s 5-3 triumph over their rivals on 25 October, 2009.
6) While Mohun Bagan holds the record for scoring a maximum of five goals in their 5-3 win over East Bengal on 25 October, 2009, the latter holds the record for the highest margin of victory, a 3-0 win over their arch-rivals achieved on 22 February, 2009.
7) While Mohun Bagan have won both the derby clashes in one year three times (2001-02,2007-08,2009-10), East Bengal have won it twice (2002-03,2003-04).
8) East Bengal have recorded the highest margin of victory in derby duels, when they defeated Mohun Bagan 5-0 in the 1975 I.F.A Shield final at Calcutta.
9) 1997 Federation Cup Semi Final between East Bengal and Mohun Bagan drew the largest audience in Indian football. The match played in 13th July,1997 at Salt Lake Stadium drew 1,34,000 spectators. East Bengal won the match 4-1, with Bhaichung Bhutia scoring a hattrick, the first in derby clashes.