People who hit the gym understand their obsession with cardio. Even on a busy day, they manage to take out a minimum of 20-25 minutes for their cardio session. It is probably because it gets them in the mood for what follows after. More than that, cardiovascular exercises have many benefits that must be spoken of:
1. Cardio helps increase your metabolism. It not only makes your heartbeat fast but also gives a boost to the other processes that take place in your body. Just to put it in perspective, an increased metabolism rate helps manage and control weight issues.
2. In case you have been indulging in heavy lifting sessions or hardcore abs workout regime, a light cool down session, maybe on the treadmill or on the elliptical, can help you with recovering from most of the fatigue. It calms you down and helps provide a gentle relief to your muscles.
3. A good cardio session helps in making your mood better. Once you are running or jogging or doing a high intensity cardio session, your body secretes hormones that help fight anxiety. Also, isn’t it obvious that you ought to feel better once you have successfully completed your cardio workout even after all the whining and crying?
4. We all love our bed and guess what? Cardiovascular exercises helps you sleep better. People suffering from insomnia or stress must definitely try walking or jogging at least 5 days a week to see a difference in their sleep pattern and quality.
5. It helps you lose weight and makes you fit! This is obvious, is it not?
Some here are some effective cardiovascular exercises that you can do at the gym!
Cardio Exercise #1
An elliptical is a machine that helps you burn calories without exerting any additional pressure on your joints.
Do this for an hour and you can burn anywhere around 300-600 calories. You can also do interval training by changing the resistance of the machine. Further, many elliptical machines allow the user to change the inclination, leading to increased concentration on your glutes.
Cardio Exercise #2
In case you want to jog or walk, this is the machine for you. Always start off by walking and gradually shift to running. If you are running, you can lose anywhere from 600-900 calories per hour, whereas if you are walking you can lose about 300-500 calories in one hour. This movement can exert pressure on your joints but try and keep your motions soft and smooth.
Cardio Exercise #3
This is super easy, mobile and can help you burn a lot of calories. In case your gym does not have a skipping rope, you can carry your own. You can lose about 400-600 calories in about 30-45 minutes alone.
You can shake it up by incorporating different speeds and styles in this workout. You can go fast or slow and can do a single jump or a double jump. It is okay if you cannot jump rope for 30 minutes straight.
You will get there as your stamina and strength increases. Jumping rope is a full body workout that can be done at home in case you miss going to the gym on a particular day.
Cardio Exercise #4
Using this has various advantages, no wonder there are spin classes. Doing this exercise diligently can help you lose about 500-1000 calories in an hour.
Again, in case you want to make it difficult, you can change the resistance to give your legs an intense workout. You must not take this equipment for granted. Spend some quality time on it and you will see the difference.
Cardio Exercise #5
You need to use the treadmill for this one. All you need to do is add an incline and walk for 30 minutes; 10 minutes at a time with 2-3 minutes break in the middle. The inclination adds a degree of complexity to it and puts more pressure on your muscle groups. However, you must not graduate to hill climbs directly. Walk for 2-3 minutes and gradually increase the steepness. You can burn about 400-600 calories in 1 hour if you are climbing at a normal pace.
These are some of the most basic machines and equipments that are easily available at the gym. However, you are not required to do a single machine on a particular day. Make your own cardio routine by mixing it all up. It should challenge and motivate you. Apart from these machines, you can do exercises like jump squats, burpees, knee kicks, mountain climbers, Russian twists, kick boxing etc. to get yourself pumping.
Always remember to add cardio to your workout regime as it can intensify it further. But also, never forget to add a cool down session once it is done so that you can recover and repeat it all the next day!