For the Indian contingent at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games 2018, the real action starts on Day 3, when star weightlifter Sathish Kumar Shivalingam opens proceedings.
Day 3 commences with the weightlifting event in Men's 77 kg category. Sathish Kumar Shivalingam, who will look forward to healing his wounds from the Rio Olympics with a strong podium finish in this event, will be followed by Yogeshwar Singh, who has managed to make the cut for the Men's Individual all-around Finals in the Artistic Gymnastics category.
Yogeshwar Singh will be followed by the women's table tennis team, who will be competing against Malaysia in the quarterfinals in order to move a step closer to the elusive gold, their prime target for this event.
Following them is Sajan Prakash, competing in the swimming heats of Men's 200 m. butterfly. Sajan will be looking forward to making amends for not progressing beyond the heats of the Men's 50 m. butterfly event.
Next in line is the star-studded Indian badminton team for the mixed team event. They already qualified for the quarterfinals by the virtue of their back to back wins against Sri Lanka and Pakistan.
Next up are the quarterfinals of the singles' category of the squash event, provided either Vikram Malhotra or the two star players, Joshna Chinappa and Dipika Pallikal Karthik, make the cut.
Following them would be the men's sprint cyclists, viz. Sahil Kumar, S. Sanuraj Paul and Ranjit Singh, who would be representing India in the individual category of the Men's Sprint event. They will be followed by Vandna Gupta, who is representing the nation in the women's weightlifting 63 kg category.
At 10:00 a.m., [Indian standard time], the Indians will get a chance to witness the most anticipated match of this CWG, i.e. the first match of the Indian men's hockey team against arch-rivals Pakistan. Coached by Sjoerd Marijne, the Indian team are looking to make a mark in the competition.
Following the Indian hockey team would be the basketball team. While the men's team play their next match against title favourites England, the women's team have a relatively easier outing against the Malaysian team.
They will be followed by promising weightlifter Ragala Venkat Rahul, who is making his senior debut in this event in the Men's 85 kg. category. Rahul, who had won a historic silver medal at the Nanjing Youth Olympics in 2014, is aiming to make his mark in this event and get another remarkable podium finish, if possible.
The boxing contingent will end the day for India. First up in the Round of 16 is veteran boxer Laishram Sarita Devi in the women's lightweight category. She had clinched a silver medal in her previous outing and will face a relatively weaker opponent in the form of Kimberly Gittens from Barbados.
She will be followed by Hussamuddin Mohammad, who is competing in the Men's Bantamweight category [56 kg.]. He is up against a relatively weaker opponent in the form of Boe Warawara from Vanuatu in the pre-quarter-finals.
The day will be brought to a close once again by veteran boxer Manoj Kumar, who will face another weak opponent in the form of Kassim Mbundwike of Tanzania in the pre-quarterfinals, i.e. the Round of 16.
[Note:- All timings are as per the Indian standard time]
- 5:00 a.m.:- Sathish Kumar Sivalingam [Weightlifting - Men's 77 kg. category]
- 5:10 a.m. onwards:- Yogeshwar Singh [Artistic Gymnastics - Men's All Around Finals]
- 5:30 a.m. onwards:- INDIA vs. Malaysia [Table Tennis - Women's team]
- 6:01 a.m.:- Sajan Prakash [Swimming - Men's 200 m. butterfly [heats]]
- 6:30 a.m. onwards:- INDIA vs. TBA [Badminton - Mixed Team event]
- 8:00 a.m. onwards - Quarterfinals [Squash - Men's Singles & Women's Singles]
- 9:00 a.m. :- Sahil Kumar, S. Sanuraj Paul and Ranjit Singh [Cycling - Men's Sprint Qualification Round]
- 9:30 a.m.:- Vandana Gupta [Weightlifting - Women's 63 kg. category]
- 10:00 a.m. :- INDIA vs. Pakistan [Field Hockey - Men's Team]
- 1:00 p.m.:- INDIA vs. England [Basketball - Men's Team]
- 2:00 p.m.:- INDIA vs. Malaysia [Basketball - Women's Team]
- 2:02 p.m.:- Laishram Sarita Devi [INDIA] vs. Kimberly Gittens [Barbados] [Boxing - Women's Lightweight [60 kg.]]
- 2:12 p.m.:- Ragala Venkata Rahul [Weightlifting] [Men's 85 kg. category]
- 3:17 p.m.:- Hussamuddin Mohammad [INDIA] vs. Boe Warawara [Vanuatu] [Boxing - Men's Bantamweight [56 kg.]]
- 3:47 p.m.:- Manoj Kumar [INDIA] vs. Kassim Mbundwike [Tanzania] [Boxing - Men's Welterweight [69 kg.]]