India wins 10 medals at the World Martial Arts Games
Out of 13 Indians, 10 won medals in their respective events.
Indians won as many as 10 medals at the recently concluded World Martial Arts Games held in Johannesburg in South Africa. 8-year-old Tashvi Menghi made history when won the bronze medal while Ashis Verma, RK Bharat, Chirag Chowdhury and Aftab Alam won gold medals in their respective events as well.
Out of the 13 participants representing India, 10 won medals at the biggest platform of the sport, a notable feat in itself. While four of them won the gold medal, three others won silver and the rest three claimed the bronze medal in the 10th edition of the games.
Ashis Verma won his medal in the U-75 Kg category in the Senior Kumite event while Bharat won in the U-60 Kg Black belt Kumite. Chirag claimed his gold medal in the U-65 Kg Junior Grappling and Aftab triumphed in the U-70 Kg Senior Grappling.
Tashvi, who started her karate training only a couple of years back, became the first Indian girl under 12 years age group in sub-junior category to be amongst the Top 3 players in the world in Kaata competition of Karate by winning her medal.
Anushka Bhumbar U-13 Kumite Player, Apurva Makode U-13 Kata Player, Ankit Gurjar 17+ grappling player, also participated in the event but failed short of winning any medals.
The feat at the biggest tournament in the sport organised by the supreme body of Martial Arts in the world, the World Martial Arts Games Committee, is a huge accomplishment for Indians and the future of the sport in India looks bright.
Here is the list of all the medallists in the championships:
1. Ashish Verma won Gold Medal in U-75 Kg Senior Kumite
2. RK Bharat won Gold Medal in U-60 Kg Black Belt Kumite
3. Chirag Chaudhary won Gold Medal in U-65 Junior Grappling
4. Aftab Alam won Gold Medal in U-70 Kg Senior Grappling
5. Harjeet Kumar won Silver Medal U-60 in Senior Kumite
6. Vivek Nagar won Silver Medal in U-35 Kg Junior Kumite
7. Mayank Jollani won Silver Medal in U-45 Junior Kumite
8. Tashvi Menghi won Bronze in U-12 Yrs Sub Junior Kata
9. Satyam Chaudhary won Bronze Medal in U-50 Kg Junior Kumite
10. Akash Patil won Bronze Medal in U-50 Junior Grappling