Rugby World Cup 2019: France join England in the quarter-finals after edging past Tonga
France was just one step away from joining England in the quarter-finals of the Rugby World Cup 2019 when they went up against Tonga, who hadn't won even a single match in the tournament. France were in second place in the Pool C points table with 9 points behind England, who registered a massive win against Argentina on 5th October.
In the first half of the game at the Kumamoto Stadium, France scored 17 points while Tonga could only manage seven points. The second half was a much more closer affair as Tonga stayed tight to France, who just managed to win the match with a two-point difference and advanced to the quarter-finals alongside England.
Final Score: France 23-21 Tonga
Highlights: France vs. Tonga
- France opened their account after a penalty was called against Tonga as Ntamack pocketed a three-pointer after the initiation from the front-rower Camille Chat.
- The first try of the match came for France as Vakatawa sprinted under the posts after collecting a one-handed throw from Raka, followed by a conversion from Ntamack.
- Tonga was not able to score a single point while and Raka from France scored one more try followed by a conversion from Ntamack as the lead increased to 15 points.
- Finally, Tonga opened their account with a fantastic try from Takulua and converted the same to add two more points for his side.
- After the first half of the match, the scoreline was France 17-7 Tonga.
- The second half started with a positive note for Tonga as Hingano scored a try after collecting the ball by a brilliant kick by Cooper Vuna and Takulua again added two more points with the conversion.
- A reply from France as Ntamack scored on a penalty against Tonga as the score becomes France 20-14 Tonga.
- Ntamack was at the top of his game as he pocketed three more points for France on a penalty against Tonga.
- Tonga was left way behind by France as Penaud scored a try, and France was one try away for a bonus point, but there was no conversion.
- Tonga managed to pull off a try in the last moments of the match with the help of Kapeli and conversion from Fosita.
- France won the match with a lead of just two points.
France advanced to the quarter-finals while Tonga was knocked out of the tournament after putting up a stiff fight against France.
Follow Sportskeeda for latest Rugby News.