Kynan Chenai: 10 things to know about India's shooting star headed for Rio Olympics 2016
India will have a large shooting contingent that is set to take part at the Rio Olympics 2016. One star, who would be looking to bag a medal for the nation is Kynan Chenai. The shooter would be participating in the Trap event and here are 10 things you should know about one of our medal hopefuls.
1) Kynan Darius Chenai was born on 29 January 1991 to a reputed Parsi family of Hyderabad, India.
2) His father Darius Chenai is himself a former National Shooting Champion in Shotgun Trap Shooting event and is a successful businessman.
3) He did his elementary schooling in Hyderabad and went to the prestigious Hebron School in Ooty, Tamil Nadu for higher studies, and studied German as his elected foreign language.
4) He played a lot of sports in school and was a part of the school Senior Field Hockey Team and Football Team. He was also the School Freestyle Swimming Champion in 2004, 2006 and 2009.
5) He took up Shotgun Trap Shooting in 2003 and was initially trained by his father. He was later coached by the legendary 4 time Olympian Mansher Singh.
6) He is mostly into outdoor recreation and leisure activities, and his hobbies include trekking, camping, fishing and travelling.
7) He participated in the Junior Men’s Trap Shooting event in 2007 at the 50th National Shooting Championships in Jaipur, where he won the gold medal.
8) He represented India at the Commonwealth Youth Games 2008 in Pune, where he clinched the gold medal in trap shooting.
9) He successfully defended his title in the Junior Men’s Trap Shooting event at the 51st National Shooting Championships in December 2008. His father, Darius was the winner of the men’s title in Trap Shooting to become the national champion during the championships.
10) Kynan is sponsored by Italian firearms manufacturing company Beretta and supported by non-profit organisation Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ).