Manika Batra will be representing India at the 2016 Rio Olympics in table tennis. The top ranked Indian with a world ranking of 115 qualified for the women's singles event by winning the South Asia group of the qualification tournament in April 2016.
Let us now take a look at 10 things about the ace paddler, who is considered to be one of the brightest prospects in Indian table tennis:
1. Manika Batra was born on 15 June, 1995 in New Delhi, India.
2. The 19-year-old started playing table tennis at the tender age of 5, and was influenced by her elder sister, Anchal who also plays the game.
3. She rejected a scholarship to train at the Peter Karlsson Academy in Sweden at the age of 16.
4. The youngster studied at the Jesus and Mary College for a year but decided to drop out in order to concentrate on table tennis.
5. Manika represented India in table tennis at the Commonwealth Games, Glasgow in 2014 where she was a quarterfinalist.
6. The peddler won two silver medals in the team events and a bronze medal in the singles category at the Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships in December, 2015.
7. She clinched the gold medal in the 2nd division of the World Table Tennis Team Championships in March, 2016.
8. Sachin Tendulkar is considered by her as an inspiration and also admires Saina Nehwal a lot.
9. In 2011, she won the silver medal in the U21 category of Chile Open.
10. The 5'10 tall upcoming star won three gold medals and one silver medal at the 12th South Asian Games in Guwahati and Shillong this year.