MLB Top 10 Teams Entering Week 2
Top MLB teams entering week 2.
Just one week of this long MLB season has gone by. In some places, it feels like baseball weather already and in some places, it does not. Here are this week's top 10 MLB teams:
10. Cleveland Indians: The Indians have gotten off to a 2-3 start in the 2018 MLB season. They haven't had the magic offensively, but they will get it going at some point. Last week's ranking: 4.
9. Los Angeles Angels: Shohei Ohtani is starting his MLB career in style. He has a .444 batting average with one home run and three RBI's. The Angels are a much-improved team from a season ago. They are off to a 4-2 start to the MLB season. Last week's ranking: 10.
8. Pittsburgh Pirates: Even though the Pittsburgh Pirates are off to a 4-0 start, don't buy into the hype. The only reason why they are undefeated is that of a bad overturned call on instant replay that gave the Pirates life after the Detroit Tigers originally scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the 10th inning. Last week's ranking: not ranked.
7. Milwaukee Brewers: The Brew Crew were much improved in 2017 and they aren't showing any flashes of rust so far in the 2018 season with a 4-1 start. Milwaukee could win the NL Central if for some reason the Chicago Cubs were to slip up in 2018. Newcomer Christian Yelich's batting average is .435 with one home run and five RBI's. Last week's ranking: not ranked.
6. Washington Nationals: Bryce Harper has already three home runs this season. Washington lost two out of three against the Atlanta Braves, but they swept the opening series against the Cincinnati Reds. Washington is a tough lineup to pitch against. They have a big home opening four-game series against the New York Mets. Last week's ranking: 7.
5. New York Mets: The Mets have had a different identity to start the 2018 season under Mickey Callaway. They are 4-1 to start the season because of it. New York was snowed out on Monday Night against the Philadelphia Phillies and that game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on July 9. Yoenis Cespedes (.286 batting average one home run and four RBI's) and Amed Rosario (.333 batting average five RBI's) are sparking the Mets offense so far. Outfielder Michael Conforto is expected to be activated off the DL on Thursday. Last week's ranking: 9.
4. Arizona Diamondbacks: Arizona's pitching is better than I already thought it would be to start the 2018 season. It is one of the most underrated pitching staffs in all of baseball. Patrick Corbin struck out 12 batters in a 3-0 win against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday Night. It's early, but they are leading the NL West with a 5-1 record. Last week's ranking: not ranked.
3. New York Yankees: The Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge, and Gary Sanchez effect is working good so far. They have five home runs and 12 RBI's combined. However, there is a new star being born in New York and that is shortstop Didi Gregorius. His batting average is .364 with two home runs and nine RBI's. Gregorius hit two home runs and six RBI's in one game however and it was against the Tampa Bay Rays in an 11-4 win on Tuesday. That was supposed to be an off day for both teams, but the game was postponed on Monday because of a snowstorm. Starting pitcher Luis Severino is 2-0 with a 1.38 ERA and 14 K's. The Yankees are off to a 4-2 start. Last week's ranking: 3.
2. Boston Red Sox: Boston completed a 5-1 Florida road trip to start the season. They beat the Tampa Bay Rays three out of four games and they swept a two-game set from the Miami Marlins. Boston's home opener begins tomorrow afternoon against the Tampa Bay Rays for a three-game set. Rafael Devers is off to a good start in 2018. His batting average is .318 with five RBI's. Last week's ranking: 6.
1.Houston Astros: The Houston Astros just completed a three-game sweep at home against the Baltimore Orioles. They raised the championship banner on Monday Night for the first time in franchise history. Houston is in a better position to repeat than the Chicago Cubs were a year ago. The Astros have a solid combination of pitching and offense and when was the last time you can recall a defending champion having both? Houston has scored 41 runs already in seven games. They are 6-0 when they score three or more runs and 0-1 when they don't. Carlos Correa (.474 batting average and eight RBI's, along with one stolen bases), Josh Reddick (.353 batting average and six RBI's), and Jake Marisnick (.158 batting average and four RBI's) each have two home runs. Houston is 6-1 to start the season. Last week's ranking: 1.