Cricket South Africa likely to appeal Faf Du Plessis guilty verdict
South Africa are set to contest International Cricket Council’s ruling which has charged captain Faf du Plessis for ball tampering in Hobart.
The captain is expected to make an appeal against the guilty verdict but in doing so can be suspended for a Test match. He was found guilty of ball tampering during the game in Hobart after a three-hour hearing at the Adelaide Oval on Tuesday.
The CA website says that Cricket South Africa will challenge the guilty verdict which was handed down by ICC match referee Andy Pycroft.
Now, Du Plessis will have 2 days from the time he gets the official written decision of the verdict to file the appeal. The appeal would have a fresh hearing at the office of a judicial commissioner who would again go through all the evidence and decide if he would increase or decrease Pycroft's sanction.
If his sanction is increased, Du Plessis might be banned for a Test match. The maximum penalty for a level two breach of the ICC Code of Conduct are two suspension points—equivalent to a Test and 100 per cent match fee.
Du Plessis was fined 100 per cent of his match fee from the Hobart Test where he was said to have changed the ball’s condition by applying mint to shine it. He pleaded not guilty but after seeing the evidence Pycroft decided to fine him.
In 2013 too, the 32-year-old was fined for the same reason during a Test match.
Former Australia batsman Mark Waugh said such steps were necessary but then again added that one cannot ban players from using things like chewing gums and sunscreen.
You had to fine him for that (using a mint and polishing the ball," Waugh said on Inside Cricket. "It looked so obvious it was ridiculous. He basically put the lolly on top of the ball, didn't he. "And not a good look from the captain either. "(But) where does it stop; are you going to stop players chewing gum, eating lollies, putting sunscreen on, putting product in their hair?"
South African great Shaun Pollock said he believed the incident had been blown out of proportion but added that it was crucial for Du Plessis to play in the next game at Adelaide.
"It's a fine, but I think he'll still be happy he can get out there and play at the Adelaide Oval," Pollock said on Inside Cricket.
"Both sides could have handled it a little bit different (and) it has been blown out of proportion a little bit.”
"In our day, if there was a case where someone had performed a misdemeanour, it was dealt with at the end of the game and everything was sorted and you could move on. "Everything has lingered for so long, and with lawyers getting involved, it's allowed that opportunity for things to get blown out of proportion."
South African coach Russell Domingo today said the incident has had serious effects on their preparations but Pollock believes it will boost the side who are seeking a 3-0 whitewash.
"I think it actually may regroup them and give them a little bit of focus," Pollock said. "With the team gathering behind Hashim (Amla) like that (at the MCG last Friday) they obviously wanted to show there was solidarity and they'll be dead keen with everything that's gone on to put in a quality performance.”
"They've talked about winning 3-0 so far, this will give them a little bit of motivation. It's key that Faf is allowed to play, he's captained the side very well, he's batted pretty well on the tour, he's a pretty key component in the side."