Sachin Tendulkar's world records
World records held by Sachin Tendulkar in the Test and ODI format of the game.
We will take a look at all the world records currently held by Indian maestro Sachin Tendulkar.
He may or may not be the greatest batsman to grace the game of cricket, but he certainly is the best batsman we have seen over the last twenty years of International cricket. Having played the game for 24 long years, he has made some records his own across both the ODI and Test formats.
Sachin Tendulkar’s records in Test cricket
- Most number of runs in the format, the only player to have crossed the 15,000 mark, Sachin ended up with exactly 15921 runs.
- Most number of Test hundreds (51). Jacques Kallis was the only player who was looked at upon as a possible contender to break this record, but with his retirement, one can safely say that this record will stand for many years to come.
- Many players consider themselves to be blessed when they represent their nation for 100 Tests, but Sachin with his last Test did the unthinkable by completing 200 Test matches.
- He holds the record for the most number of century partnerships and most number of runs by a pair, both with his good old friend Rahul Dravid.
- Sachin has hit the most number of fours in the format which stands at a staggering 2058.
- He also holds the record for making the most number of runs at a particular batting position (number 4).
- Most number of 50+ scores in the format: 119.
- He jointly holds the record for the most number of scores in the nineties (10) alongside Rahul Dravid and Steve Waugh.
- Sachin was also the fastest to reach 12000, 13000, 14000 and 15000 Test runs.
Sachin Tendulkar’s records in ODI cricket
- With 18426 runs to his name, he is the top run getter. The next best is 13704, which shows you the kind of dominance he had in this format.
- He has 49 ODI hundreds, the last one being his 100th in International Cricket. The most amazing feature about this record was he scored his first in only his 79th one day game.
- The most number of half centuries: 96.
- Just like in Test cricket, he has also played the most number of matches in the 50 over version of the game (463).
- He holds the record for the highest partnership when he combined with Dravid to put on 331 runs for the second wicket against New Zealand.
- He made the most number of runs in a calendar year in 1998, a record that is yet to be broken.
- The most number of hundreds scored against a particular team. He always cherished scoring against the Aussies and ended up scoring nine hundreds against them.
- Many wonder how many hundreds he would have ended up with had he converted his 90s. He was dismissed 18 times in the nineties which in itself is a world record.
- Sachin dominated almost every single World Cup he played, and has currently made the most runs (2278) in the tournament’s history.
- No other player has won the man of the match (62) and the man of the series (15) awards as many times as Sachin did in his career.
They say records are meant to be broken, but when you take a look at some of the above mentioned records, one does get a feeling that those will remain forever. Some people predict Alistair Cook (in Tests) and Virat Kohli (in ODIs) to get near those records by the time they finish their respective careers. But how consistent can they be in the future is the question, or else these records might very well stand tall like Don Bradman’s magical Test average.