COOKIE CONSENT
Create
Notifications
Favorites Edit

Shane Watson ruled out of England ODI; Moises Henriques called up as replacement

FEATURED COLUMNIST
News
1.75K   //    22 Jan 2015, 14:59 IST
Shane Watson

Australian all-rounder Shane Watson has been ruled out of Australia’s game versus England at the Blundstone Arena in Hobart on Friday, owing to a stiff right hamstring. The 33-year-old will miss the game as a precaution with just over 20 days left for the start of the ICC Cricket World Cup.

Australia’s stand-in captain for the game Steven Smith said that there was nothing to worry about and that Watson had been given the game off only as a precautionary measure.

"He (Watson) bowled this morning, I think he's just a little bit tight. I don't think it's anything too major. It's more of a precautionary measure to make sure he's right for the World Cup," Smith said.

Moises Henriques to replace Watson

Moises Henriques has been called up as a replacement for Watson. Chairman of selectors Rod Marsh said that Henriques is the perfect replacement and the idea is to give the likes of him, Shaun Marsh and Cameron White a game in the absence of regular players like George Bailey and David Warner.

"Moises is one of our leading all-rounders, he has international experience, and in Shane Watson's enforced absence it made perfect sense to draft him in for this match," the former wicket-keeper batsman said

"The intention is to release Moises, along with Cameron White and Shaun Marsh, after the match as it is our expectation that we will have George Bailey, Mitchell Marsh and David Warner available for selection for our match in Sydney on Monday,"

Final XI undecided

Australia announced their playing XI a day before the start of every Test against India, but Smith admitted that the final XI that will take the field on Friday hasn't been decided yet and the Chairman of the selection panel was flying down to Hobart to make matters more clear.

"The selectors have got to come down and weigh up our options with Watto going to be ruled out tomorrow," Smith said.

"(Chairman of Selectors) Rod (Marsh) is on his way down here, so we're not 100 percent sure of the XI yet."

Topics you might be interested in:
FEATURED COLUMNIST
Massive Rafael Nadal fan. Occasional writer. blog: dravidkeeda.wordpress.com
Fetching more content...