Statistical round-up of the fourth Test match India vs Australia
India today emphatically whitewashed the Aussies in a four match series and thus now have a chance to go back to number 2 if New Zealand beats England(which looks likely at the end of the third day’s play). Here is a statistical round-up of the forth and final Test match of Border-Gavasker trophy:
1. Peter Siddle became the first batsman in Test cricket to score 50+ in each innings coming in at no. 9.
2. It was only the 2nd time India beat Australia in three days in a Test. The only other instance was at Mumbai in Nov 2004.
3. Australia’s 7th loss in a row in India. Their worst performance in an away country they broke their previous record where they lost 6 in a row in SA 1967-1994.
4. MS Dhoni became the first Test captain to win a Test series 4-0 despite losing all the tosses in a series.
5. This was India’s biggest Test series win in terms of margin-beating Australia 4-0 in 2013, the other ones are beating England 3-0 in 1993 and 3-0 against Sri Lanka in 1994.
6. Most Test runs versus Australia: Jack Hobbs 3636, Sachin Tendulkar 3630, David Gower 3269, Geoff Boycott 2945, Brain Lara 2856.
7. Only once before Australia had lost a Test series 4-0. It was against Ali Bacher’s South Africans in 1970.
8. The last time India won a Test match inside three days: beat South Africa by 8 wickets at Kanpur, 11-13 April 2008.
9. The last occasion two Aussie spinners opened the bowling was Stuart MacGill & Brad Hogg at Georgetown, Guyana.
10. India’s target of 155 runs today was the same at Chennai in 2001; that day India won by 2 wickets, today it was more convincing!