Sunil Narine's World Cup participation in doubt: Reports
Sunil Narine's World Cup participation is in doubt after tweets from a former WIPA president.
With less than 3 weeks to go for the 2015 Cricket World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, the participation of West Indies’ premier bowler Sunil Narine is in major doubt after former West Indies Players Association (WIPA) president Dinanath Ramnarine posted a tweet about the player soon announcing his withdrawal from the quadrennial event.
Narine had been reported for a suspect action during the Champions League Twenty20 (CL T20) in India last year, resulting in him being suspended from all BCCI-organised competitions. Since then, he has not been an active member of the national side, thereby preventing the International Cricket Council (ICC) from scrutinizing his action.
One of TNT's ace player will soon be announcing that he is pulling out of WC in Aus/NZ.....stay tune for details more to come!!!— Dinanath Ramnarine (@dramnarine) January 25, 2015
Okay guys it's Sunil Narine He will be out of the WC 2015 I wish Sunil all d best as he continues to work very hard on his bowling issues— Dinanath Ramnarine (@dramnarine) January 26, 2015
Ramnarine’s tweets led to everyone asking whether the 26-year-old had once again been reported for a suspect action, but the former WIPA president confirmed that that wasn't the case.
For the record Sunil has not been reported!!!— Dinanath Ramnarine (@dramnarine) January 26, 2015
Nothing confirmed yet: Narine
When Narine was asked whether he was going to represent his country in Australia and New Zealand, having been picked in West Indies’ 15-man squad, he didn't provide a clear answer and said that things should hopefully become clear in a couple of days’ time.
“Nothing has been confirmed about the situation at the moment. I am waiting for a couple of days to find out what’s going on, before I can say anything else,” he told TV6, after picking up figures of 6 for 9 for his domestic side against Guyana.
This news comes after Pakistan off-spinner Saeed Ajmal announced that he will be opting out of the World Cup following his failure to make the necessary changes to his action in time for the marquee event.