WICB hopes for practical solution to end BCCI deadlock
The WICB president speaks about their ongoing impasse with the BCCI.
The president of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) Dave Cameron has urged the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to not drag the WICB into Indian courts with regards to the damages endured as a result of the West Indies cricket team’s withdrawal midway through their tour of India last year.
Cameron feels that Indian courts lack a sense of jurisdiction and wants the Indian board to resolve the matter through bilateral discussion or third-party intervention over the course of the next two months.
He sent his proposal to BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel through an e-mail on Tuesday, which was the final day of the seven-day deadline that the BCCI had set for the WICB. Cameron was responding to Patel’s earlier letter which had threatened that the BCCI would be forced to move to court if the WICB didn't provide any conclusive answer on how they were going to pay the $41.97 million that they have suffered as damages.
"We reiterate our position that Indian courts lack jurisdiction in this matter given the parties' agreement to submit disputes of this nature to binding arbitration," Cameron wrote in the e-mailed letter, according to ESPNcricinfo.
"We are surprised that your letter makes no reference to our letter dated 7 November 2014 or the matters to which it refers, including our formal written proposal for progressing matters. Your letter also makes no reference to the numerous earnest but informal discussions, which have taken place between our respective Boards exploring possible solutions, including various 'cricketing solutions' that are practical and fair to the BCCI and all stakeholders," he added.
Would like to get to a solution on the matter: Cameron
Cameron further stressed that he was ready to sit down and have a proper discussion with the BCCI on the road ahead.
“We would like to propose that we (WICB and BCCI) meet at the earliest available opportunity but in any event within the next 60 days, as we remain of the view that the issues between us may best be resolved through dialogue, facilitated or otherwise, with the aim of jointly coming up with appropriate 'cricketing solutions' that will meet the legitimate interests of all stakeholders including the BCCI.
"Our position in law remains as set out in our letter dated 7 November 2014. Without admitting any liability to the BCCI, we reiterate our willingness to participate in bi-lateral or multi-lateral discussions, or in mediation or such other suitable form of ADR as may be appropriate, as the alternatives would be of no benefit to either Board or the larger cricketing community,” he said.
In a separate media release, Cameron said that he had held talks with the some of the directors of the governing body and asked them to have a look into the matter. He also sounded optimistic about arriving at a workable decision in the coming weeks.