Overwatch 2 is allowing players who have invested hours in the prequel to merge accounts and transfer their skins, emotes, achievements, statistics, credits, and more to the latest iteration of Blizzard's popular shooter.
Many in the Overwatch community have been having trouble with this system, and account merging with the new franchise entry is not working as one would have hoped.
The “Merge Accounts Not Working” error has been one of the more annoying bugs in Overwatch 2, making many players worried that they may possibly lose years of progress from Overwatch 1 because of it.
This strange error is one of the more difficult-to-solve issues in Blizzard's popular shooter, and today’s guide will talk about what causes this error and how it can be resolved.
What causes the “Merge Accounts Not Working” error in Overwatch 2 and how to fix it
The “Merge Accounts Not Working” error in Overwatch 2 is generally caused after account merging if there is a bug or a server error with the shooter itself. Additionally, it may also be an issue with the player’s network or with their game files.
Listed below are some of the steps that players must take to fix this error in the game:
- Make sure that the merging of the two accounts between the shooters was done successfully. As players get only one chance to merge their Overwatch 1 account with Overwatch 2, it’s important to make sure that they double-check it and ensure that the process was completed successfully.
- It’s also important to note here that only one account per platform can be linked. Therefore, if players have two accounts on the different platforms of PC, Xbox, PS, or Switch, they will, unfortunately, be able to merge only one of them.
- If players are still facing the “Merge Accounts Not Working” error in the shooter, then they will be required to check the Overwatch 2 servers, and see if the developers are having an issue with the game's online services.
- If the shooter’s servers are up and running properly, then players will be required to check connectivity from their end, or even go as far as to re-install the shooter from scratch as it will weed out any corrupt or compromised game files.
- If the merging issue has been occurring if they have been merging accounts on their own, making players lose progress, or if they are merging the wrong accounts, then players are required to submit a ticket to Blizzard Support.
How can players easily change the Overwatch 2 console account already associated with Battle.Net?
To be able to merge accounts on their consoles, players must follow these steps:
- Click on the 'Account Merge' option that they will find in the options menu in the game. Here, they will see a new window that reads ‘Confirm your Account for Merge.’
- They will then be required to check if the two accounts have been accurately merged. After successfully doing so, confirmation will be shown at the bottom of the screen.
It’s important to note here that players looking to merge their accounts but want to unlock their console accounts will be able to do so with the Battle.net account. However, there will be a one-year cooldown on this process.