He is the youngest driver to win the World Driver’s Champion for the fourth time. The uncompromising domination can be judged from the fact that Sebastian Vettel has managed to do so for four consecutive years, the only driver after Juan Manuel Fangio(winner of five titles) and Michael Schumacher(winner of seven titles) . He also comes at par with another great Alain Prost winner of four drivers title. With a bunch of records to his name, he also has his critics who find it difficult to fathom the brilliance of the German driver. But the fact remains his achievements speak for him and at this rate he is on his way to become an unbeatable Legend in the sport. Talking of facts, below is a list of lesser known facts about the newly crowned Champion.
Off the Track
- As a young kid, the Heppenheim born protégé looked up to three Michaels for inspirations : Legendary racing driver Michael Schumacher, ace basketball star Michael Jordan and king of pop Michael Jackson. Though he wanted to follow in Jackson’s footsteps, he soon realised he didn’t have the voice and took to karting like his racing idol Schumacher.
- While he believes in going fastest by scorching the race tracks across the world, he also loves facing the camera. He was seen in a music video with Melanie Fiona, in commercials endorsing products such as Head and Shoulders and featured as a voice-over artist for the German version of the movie Cars 2 along-side Fernando Alonso, who also did a voice over for the movie in Spanish. He has also been associated with the promotions for one of Red Bull Racing’s sponsor and partner – Inifniti. (Check out his videos on You Tube).
- He likes to play badminton(it helps him to improve speed qualities) and has had Kimi Raikkonen for company and they share quite a camaraderie off-the track. Among other things he likes walking up the mountains, skiing and cycling that help him to keep fit.
- The things that make him cranky are waking up early, smoking areas at airports, rotten food, traffic jams(who loves them anyway) and shoes that make squeaky noises.
- He is a crazy Beatles fan and has some memorabilia of the great music band. One of them being a Hofner guitar that was presented to him by Beatles member Sir James Paul McCartney.
- He has special edition cars named after him from Infiniti. In September 2012, the Infiniti FX Sebastian Vettel Version concept was officially unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show. It was later announced that the car would go into production with only 200 of the limited edition cars to be produced.