FIA: "Protracted talks over new Concorde Agreement proceeding positively"
The agreement lining the teams, the sport’s rights holder and the governing body together had expired at the end of last year. There were talks going around of a new agreement but nothing really happened.
Marussia is the only team that have not signed up for the commercial element of the new deal, with all other teams believed to have signed up during the course of last year. However, the remaining delays have focused on regulatory aspects.
The new season kick-starts in Australia this coming Friday and the FIA said, following the first 2013 meeting of its World Motor Sport Council: “It was noted that the negotiations over the Concorde Agreement were proceeding positively in order to be concluded in the near future.”
Also, something that was going around for quite sometime now was announced. The governing body finally officially confirmed 19 2013 races as part of the WMSC meeting in Geneva.
The FIA also told that a Drivers’ Commission will be formed. The main purpose of such a commission would be to represent the rights and interests of drivers across all disciplines under its auspices.
Emerson Fittipaldi, the three-times World Champion will fulfill the role of the body’s President, with 1992 World Champion Nigel Mansell, former HRT driver Karun Chandhok and Maria de Villota representatives for the single-seater division.