Hockenheim rules out hosting 2015 German Grand Prix
There will be no German Grand Prix this year, Hockenheim boss Georg Seiler told a German newspaper. The F1 season is now reduced to 19 races. “We have no hope any more of having a Formula One race here,” Seiler said.
“We did everything in the last few years to keep the fans happy. Just not not enough time to sell tickets. The time has expired to organise a race here. Otherwise, the quality of the event would have suffered,” he added.
F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone had indicated earlier that there will be no replacement to the July 19 race in case of a Hockenheim pullout. Hockenheim hosted last year’s Grand Prix and is also scheduled to host the race in 2016. However, the circuit has made heavy losses due to poor attendances and cannot host the race for three years in a row.
There was a drastic reduction in attendance after 7-time World Champion Michael Schumacher’s retirement in 2012. Germany is also home to reigning World champions Mercedes. Nico Rosberg won the German Grand Prix last year in front of a 52,000 strong home crowd.